RCL#4 Advocacy Project

For my advocacy project Megan Zuccato and I will be doing it together since we had similar topics for our persuasive essay’s and we are really interested in the topic. We have decided that it would be best to make a website about Orca Whales in captivity. This issue is very important to address because there is a lot of evidence that shows that Killer Whales in captivity bring a lot more harm to the animal than being in the wild, which is where they belong. The advocacy project will be not so different from the persuasion essay. The biggest difference at the moment will be that we are able to put visuals behind the evidence that we will present. For a topic like this images will provoke a pathos appeal to the audience and help them understand why this is such a critical issue that needs to be addressed. I think if we were to advocate to a specific audience it would be to the public because they are the ones who buy the tickets to see these animals perform in theme parks like SeaWorld. They have the power to close them down if we band together and tell the Good Ole Boys that this is morally and ethically wrong. We would be advocating for the release of the roughly 45 Killer Whales in Captivity, or at least the ones in the United States. These animals do not have a voice and cannot advocate for themselves. They have to do what they have to to survive and for me that is heartbreaking because what if the shoe was on the other foot? What if we were meant to be someones circus act and made to perform multiple shows in a day and that was the only way that we were guaranteed food. Always just enough to take away the bite of hunger but never ever being as satisfied as you could be. Never to be able to live how you want to and to be on a set schedule every single day. At least for me it sounds just downright frustrating, limiting their capabilities, humiliating, mocking their strength as a top predator, and treating them like dumb animals that do a few tricks to get a few pieces of lousily fish. Who benefits here? They surely do not.