NOTE: Application for admission to the 2020 WISER/MURE/FURP undergraduate research programs is now closed.
The application process for WMF 2021 programs, which is dependent on available funding from NASA, is expected to open Nov. 1, 2020. Click here to view a sample application.
- WISER: Women in Science and Engineering Research
Available to first-year women.
- MURE: Minority Undergraduate Research Experience
Available to underrepresented minority students (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander) who are first-year, sophomores, or juniors.
- FURP: First-year Undergraduate Research Program
Available to all first-year students; those with economic hardship are encouraged to apply.
The WISER/MURE/FURP internship programs at Penn State – University Park offer research experiences and mentoring in labs within eight Colleges: Earth and Mineral Sciences, Education, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Health and Human Development, Liberal Arts, Information Sciences and Technology, and the Eberly College of Science. View participating SP20/FA20 labs here.
These two-semester internship experiences (spring and fall of one calendar year) offer students the opportunity to collaborate with a research team, learn the language of research, and use high-tech equipment.
Interns during the calendar year 2020 will receive $575 per semester and are expected to participate no less than five hours per week in the lab.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be a Penn State University Park undergraduate student.
- Applicant must qualify for at least one of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP.
- Applicant must participate no less than five hours per week in the lab during each semester of the program.
For more information, visit the WISER/MURE/FURP website.
2019-2020 WISER/MURE/FURP timeline
- Oct. 1, 2019 – WMF online application portal opens for Spring 2020/Fall 2020 cohort
- Nov. 1, 2019 – WMF applications are due for Spring 2020/Fall 2020 cohort
- Nov. 19, 2019 – WMF Research Symposium for Spring 2019/Fall 2019 cohort
- mid December, 2019 – Students/faculty are notified of placements for Spring 2020/Fall 2020
- January, 2020 – 2020 student cohort begins first semester of WMF internship
- August, 2020 – 2020 student cohort begins second semester of WMF internship
- November, 2020 – WMF Research Symposium for Spring 2020/Fall 2020 cohort