NOTE: Application for admission to the 2020 WISER/MURE/FURP undergraduate research programs is closed.
- WISER: Women in Science and Engineering Research
Available to first-year women.
- MURE: Minority Undergraduate Research Experience
Available to underrepresented minority students (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander) who are first-year, sophomores, or juniors.
- FURP: First-year Undergraduate Research Program
Available to all first-year students; those with economic hardship are encouraged to apply.
The WISER/MURE/FURP internship programs at Penn State – University Park offer research experiences and mentoring in labs within eight Colleges: Earth and Mineral Sciences, Education, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Health and Human Development, Liberal Arts, Information Sciences and Technology, and the Eberly College of Science. View participating SP20/FA20 labs here.
These two-semester internship experiences (spring and fall of one calendar year) offer students the opportunity to collaborate with a research team, learn the language of research, and use high-tech equipment.
Interns receive $575 per semester and are expected to participate no less than five hours per week in the lab.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be a Penn State University Park undergraduate student.
- Applicant must qualify for at least one of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP.
- Applicant must participate no less than five hours per week in the lab during each semester of the program.
For more information, visit the WISER/MURE/FURP website.
2019-2020 WISER/MURE/FURP timeline
- Oct. 1, 2019 – WMF online application portal opens for Spring 2020/Fall 2020 cohort
- Nov. 1, 2019 – WMF applications are due for Spring 2020/Fall 2020 cohort
- Nov. 19, 2019 – WMF Research Symposium for Spring 2019/Fall 2019 cohort
- mid December, 2019 – Students/faculty are notified of placements for Spring 2020/Fall 2020
- January, 2020 – 2020 student cohort begins first semester of WMF internship
- August, 2020 – 2020 student cohort begins second semester of WMF internship
- November, 2020 – WMF Research Symposium for Spring 2020/Fall 2020 cohort