Applications are now available for the 2019 program!
*DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5th! (updated on Nov. 1st 2018)
*To view a sample application please click here.
The WISER/MURE/FURP program at Penn State University Park offers research experiences and mentoring in Penn State University Park labs in the Colleges of Earth and Mineral Sciences, Education, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Health and Human Development, Liberal Arts, Information Sciences and Technology and the Eberly College of Science. VIEW PARTICIPATING LABS here: https://sites.psu.edu/wisermurefurp/
It is a two-semester experience (spring and fall of one calendar year) offering students the opportunity to collaborate with a research team, learn the language of research and use high-tech equipment. Research activities may include attending lab meetings, preparing research posters and collecting data. Students will learn to work safely and efficiently in the lab and may also experience professional conferences and field work. Students often are assigned their own research project or work closely with a graduate student to collect important data for the lab.
To apply a student must qualify for at least one (or more) of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP (select the programs within the application). Note, qualifying for more than one program does not increase the chances of being selected to participate.
MURE: Minority Undergraduate Research Experience
Available to underrepresented minority students (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander) who are first-year, sophomores, or juniors.
FURP: First-year Undergraduate Research Program
Available to all first-year students; those with economic hardship are encouraged to apply.
Upon selection, research occurs in the Spring and Fall semesters of 2019.
A monetary scholarship ($500) is provided each semester of participation in the program. Students are expected to contribute no less than 5 hours per week in the lab.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be a Penn State University Park undergraduate student.
- Applicant must qualify for at least one of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP.
- Applicant must be able to commit at least five hours per week in the lab each semester of the program.
- Review the research laboratory descriptions of those faculty members participating in the program. Select up to three labs that match your interests. The more labs selected, the better chance of being accepted into a program.
- Submit an online application by the November 1st deadline.
- Participating faculty will be notified of your interest and may choose to interview their preferred candidates.
- Decisions will be made by the end of Fall 2018 semester. If selected, you will participate in one research lab for both Spring 2019 and Fall 2019 semesters.
- The application will open on October 1, 2018.
- The application will close on November 1, 2018.
- Faculty will review applicants November 4 – 26, 2018.
- Lab assignments will be announced mid December, 2018.
Current and past WISER|MURE|FURP scholarship recipients
Kelsie Morales Rojas
Juliette van Schaik
Anne Marie Melda
Joaquim Diego Santos