The application is currently closed and will re-open Fall 2017
The WISER/MURE/FURP programs at Penn State University Park offer research experiences and mentoring in Penn State’s most exciting and prestigious labs in the Colleges of Earth and Mineral Sciences, Education, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Health and Human Development, Liberal Arts, Information Sciences and Technology and the Eberly College of Science.
–MURE: Minority Undergraduate Research Experience
Available to underrepresented minority students who are freshman, sophomores, or juniors (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander).
–FURP: Freshman Undergraduate Research Program
Available to all freshmen; those with economic hardship are encouraged to apply.
WISER/MURE/FURP is a one-year research experience program offering students the opportunity to collaborate with a research team, learn the language of research and use high-tech equipment. You will learn to work safely and efficiently in the lab. Research activities may include attending lab meetings, preparing research posters and collecting data. You may also experience professional conferences and field work. Students often are assigned their own research project or work closely with a graduate student to collect important data for the lab.
Upon selection, research occurs in the Spring and Fall semesters of 2017. A $500 scholarship is provided each semester you participate in the program. Students are expected to contribute 5 hours per week in the lab.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be a Penn State University Park undergraduate student.
- Applicant must qualify for either the WISER, MURE or FURP program.
- Applicant must be able to commit at least five hours per week in the lab during the duration of the program.
- Review the research laboratory descriptions of those faculty members participating in the program. You can select up to three labs that match your interests. The more labs you select, the better your chance is of being accepted into a program.
- Submit an online application by the November 1st deadline.
- Participating faculty will be notified of your interest and may choose to interview preferred candidates.
- Decisions will be made by the end of Fall 2016 semester. If selected, you will participate in one research lab for both Spring 2017 and Fall 2017 semesters.
Current and Past WISER/MURE/FURP Scholarship Recipients
Kelsie Morales Rojas
Juliette van Schaik