Admission to the 2020 WISER/MURE/FURP undergraduate research programs is now open and will close on November 1, 2019.
*Click here to view the application and apply.
WISER: Women in Science and Engineering Research
Available to first-year women.
MURE: Minority Undergraduate Research Experience
Available to underrepresented minority students (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander) who are first-year, sophomores, or juniors.
FURP: First-year Undergraduate Research Program
Available to all first-year students; those with economic hardship are encouraged to apply.
The WISER/MURE/FURP programs at Penn State University Park offer research experiences and mentoring in Penn State University Park labs in the Colleges of Earth and Mineral Sciences, Education, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Health and Human Development, Liberal Arts, Information Sciences and Technology, and the Eberly College of Science.
It is a two-semester experience (spring and fall of one calendar year) offering students the opportunity to collaborate with a research team, learn the language of research and use high-tech equipment. Research activities may include attending lab meetings, preparing research posters and collecting data. Students will learn to work safely and efficiently in the lab and may also experience professional conferences and fieldwork. Students often are assigned their own research project or work closely with a graduate student to collect important data for the lab.
To apply a student must qualify for at least one (or more) of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP (select the programs within the application). Note, qualifying for more than one program does not increase the chances of being selected to participate.
Upon selection, research occurs in the Spring and Fall semesters of different academic years.
A monetary scholarship ($575) is provided each semester of participation in the program. Students are expected to contribute no less than 5 hours per week in the lab.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be a Penn State University Park undergraduate student.
- Applicant must qualify for at least one of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP.
- Applicant must be able to commit at least five hours per week in the lab during each semester of the program.
- Review the research laboratory descriptions of those faculty members participating in the program. Select up to three labs that match your interests. The more labs selected, the better chance of being accepted into a program.
- Submit an online application by the November 1st deadline.
- Participating faculty will be notified of your interest and may choose to interview their preferred candidates.
- Decisions will be made by the end of Fall semester 2019. If selected, you will participate in one research lab for both Spring and Fall semesters of 2020.
- The application will open on October 1.
- The application will close on November 1.
- Faculty will review applicants during the month of November.
- Lab assignments will be announced in mid-December.
Current and past WISER|MURE|FURP scholarship recipients
Kelsie Morales Rojas
Juliette van Schaik
Anne Marie Melda
Joaquim Diego Santos
Maria Camila Gonzalez-Tovar
Grace Van Patter