My New Go To Show

After over two months of blogging you would think I would be comfortable revealing all of the embarrassing reality television shows that I watch. You would also think I would be willing to share with you that when a season ends I feel a huge hole in my heart because I cannot follow the sorrowful life of another human being for a few months. I know, these are truly embarrassing things to admit, but I can’t help but feel that way. It is a true sign of a Reality Television junkie. But, as the saying goes when life knocks you down, just get back up again. I do just that. I find another show reality show to fill my time. Believe me, there are enough that it will never end! However, not all reality television is bad. The newest show I have picked up inspired this post. The show runs on Lifetime and it is called The Mother/ Daughter experiment: Celebrity Edition. This is an interesting one for sure. It takes former reality television stars and their moms whom they have broken relationships with and tries to fix them….on another reality television show…

At first I was excited for this new show. I was mainly excited because I knew all the contestants from previous shows. One downfall to every new season of reality television is constantly having to learn the new contestants. There is little consistency which can make the show pretty exciting, but it is also make the adjustment period to every new season a little longer. Anyhow, with this show, I already knew the participants which was a plus. Then it got me thinking, why are these women continuing to return to reality television? Wasn’t one time enough? Why do they continue to wait around for another reality television show to join. Maybe this was their calling, or so they think.

There is some merit in what they believe. Ultimately they are brought back time and time again by producers because of the draw people have to them on these shows. There is also a certain type of personality that can continually take a beating from what everyone else thinks. Like any show there are fan favorites and people continually like to watch them. I understand this and can relate to it. But I begin to wonder what it is like to not have consistent work everyday. They continue to make money off of their actions however, none of this will ultimately last forever, nor will it set any of them up to support themselves after it does end. What is the draw then? It goes back to some of the things I talked about in earlier posts. People just become addicted to the idea of fame and as long as someone else is continually willing to give them the opportunity to pursue it, then they will.

In my personal opinion this is unhealthy and all it will do is cause further problems down the road. These stars clearly live only in the moment and cannot see past the time they are living in right now. Of course many of these repeating stars have also filed for bankruptcy, failed in relationships, and continue to make headlines. It is pretty clear they follow a certain pattern for the type of person they are and until they are no longer offered reality television gigs, we will continually see them on the little screen.