Musical Theater Piano

City Rep Theatre is Playing Neil Simon's 'Song' in Bow to Broadway Romance  | FlaglerLiveAlthough not my favorite genre of music, musical theater piano can be quite interesting to play. Musical theater songs tend to repeat often and serve as intricate background music that supports the singer. I do not have extensive experience with playing different types of musical theater pieces, however; I have played a few and they can be fun to learn. 

In my early years in high school, I was involved with our musical productions and I took voice lessons. Sometimes my teacher would want me to learn a song, but she did not have any of the accompaniment to sing along with. I had trouble singing a cappella, so I decided to learn the pieces on the piano that did not have accompaniment so that I could sing along better.  

The tricky part of playing musical theater music is that it is usually very fast. Audiences like to hear upbeat music especially when it pertains to a light hearted storyline. For example, if you have ever heard music from The Sound of Music or Hamilton, you probably know that it is very fast. Pianists who are playing along with these types of musical need to be quick and precise to give a good performance. Different theater companies and places that are putting on musicals usually hire their own pianist to play the piano accompaniment. My high school would have someone come into play at the tryouts for the musicals. I remember that it was amazing to hand this woman a complicated piece she could have very well never seen before and she would just play it perfectly at the right tempo. I guess it takes years of practice and natural skill.

However, for a novice such as myself, it takes me several weeks to play a musical theater piece well. In the pieces I have played, I have found it common to have a lot of accidentals. Accidentals always add a layer of complication for me when I try to learn a piece as I frequently hit the wrong key. The rhythms these pieces are written in can also be wonky at times. There could be a series of eighth notes and then suddenly the rhythm will change to quarter notes and so forth. As people are singing along with this music and telling a story, the tempo often changes as well. Just like when you talk to a person, you might say something relatively slowly and then the conversation will pick up and you will talk really fast. It is the same way with singing and playing along with the piano. Music will be written in a certain time signature, but then halfway through the piece it may slow down or pick up depending on the mood.  

Overall musical theater piano is not my favorite to listen to or play but it is a great example of how music can tell a story. Musical theater pieces can also contain many different techniques in just one piece making it a great genre for musicians who are trying to show off their technical talent. 

3 thoughts on “Musical Theater Piano

1. I have watched many musicals during the last year because what else are we supposed to do with all of this free time! However, I guess I never really paid much attention to the accompaniment to the vocals. I guess I will be watching Hamilton again this weekend to see if I can pick out the piano! I also love how you explained the various tempos and rhythms of a song like parts of a conversation. Great post!

2. I am a huge fan of musical theatre and I follow lots of companies on social media and am always blown away by how skilled the piano players are. I can’t help but think of Alex Lacamoire, the musical director and co-writer of the music in Hamilton. That show is non-stop music. Tempos are changing constantly and many of them are fast-paced songs. It blows my mind to watch him play. Not only did he play piano for the show but was also the conductor/pit director. That has to be an exhausting job to do every day – sometimes twice a day!

3. Musical theatre piano does sound quite interesting, although the acoustic arrangements matters in the hall too, so maximum suspense and immersion can be created. Its an interesting field too as sometimes even harmonic sounds and tunes can change moods. Although i don’t watch musical theatre very often, but when i do, it sounds super immersive, and sometimes change the storyline-plots – so that’s something fun to know about. Looking forward for the next blogpost!