Pollock shines with its food

Congratulations on surviving another week of your college life! And same as always, I will present you with a brand-new restaurant in-campus today, “Market Pollock Asia Kitchen”!

Before I dive into any details, I highly recommend you check out their menu prior then your order because no restaurant can satisfy every customer, Pollock Asia Kitchen is no exception. All comments I collected for this restaurant have confirmed that some particular dishes were delicious and economical, but others tend to scare away customers. And let me tour you through this restaurant to avoid future disasters.

Like any other restaurant, I start the show with the appetizers. There are many to choose from, but fried dumplings and crab Rangoon usually get overfired, reinforcing their shell and leading to a dry, bland taste inside. However, Egg Rolls and Shrimp Shumai clutched all the needs like superheroes. Unlike other fried products, egg roll owns a thin warp so no matter how much you fry (as long as it doesn’t become a piece of coal), it’s still crispy and tasteful! Shrimp shumai fascinated me with its chewy skin, when it collides with shrimp, all the flavors line up one by one and then mix all the tastes to level up as a whole.

Now we move on to entrees. As a noodle lover, I discourage anyone from ordering their noodles! IT’S TOO OILY.  Instead, I recommend making your own bowl choice, compared to completed dishes such as Shanghai Chicken, you are allowed to abundant your bowl with much more ingredients. All the protein choices are great (especially tofu and pork), but the sauce and vegetables matter the most! Ginger Bok Choy is something that everyone will get, but Japanese Eggplant stir fry can be a stranger for many, please give it a chance before your judgment based on the name. It may look a bit ugly, but the seasoning matches perfectly with fried rice! For anyone who enjoys spices, sliced hot chili is a must, it harmonizes well with both protein and starch. The next ingredient stands as the core of this bowl – the yum yum sauce – which, like the name, flavors everything else “yum yum”. It starts with a sense of sweet flavor and quickly transitions to salty with the right amount of spicy decorating the whole taste, striking your tongue and soul in just a few seconds.

After all my recommendations, I wish to provide you with some tips for you better experience if you choose to attend.

1. Always order the vegetable rolls with entrees! Vegetable rolls are only available when you order entrees, and you may add 3 dollars (1 dollar after the discount) to get 2 additional rolls. Trust me they are 10/10 every time! Most of the time they outperform regular egg rolls, but they are half of their price so take advantage when you can!
  2. Order side noodles or fried rice! I am aware I have mentioned their noodles can be over-seasoned, but the ones you may order as a side dish are just the opposite! Both fried rice and noodles are super cheap and well-seasoned, only flaw of them is the simplicity.
  3. 24Oz Boba Tea! Raised and grew up in Asian culture hold my standards for boba tea extremely high, but the Asia market managed to fit my picky taste with such a cheap price! You may level up your 16oz to 24oz with less than 1 dollar after the discount so always enjoy the benefit!

That is all for this week’s PSU food recommendation! Hope to see you next time!

2 thoughts on “Pollock shines with its food

1. I live in South, so I often eat in the Pollock dining hall, but for some reason I had no idea that this even existed! I enjoyed the way you commented on and reviewed all different varieties of the food at the Asian Market, starting with appetizers and finishing with its signature boba drinks. As a reader looking for an in-depth review, this provided ample information to decide what I’m interested and what I should stay away from. I also found your insight as someone who lived in an Asian household very useful, and it adds credibility to your review as an outsider looking in. One question I had, that may have been useful to include in your post, is how the on campus Asian market option compares to the more popular Asian eateries downtown?

2. Hey Robert, I am so glad you reviewed Market Pollock Asia Kitchen. Your descriptive language really helps an amateur like me. I am so excited to try the vegetable rolls and side noodles, not the entree don’t worry. Taking us from the top to bottom of the menu is so helpful and leaves no question of what to try. I will be trying the Japanese eggplant stir fly soon, and I am excited to let you know what I think about it. Your post is the perfect balance of passion, being personable, and your expertise on the subject. How does the Asian food in the buffet compare to this?