Week #1

Music is a huge part of my life and I’m usually listening to a playlist for the majority of my day, whether it’s on my walk to class, during my meals, or while doing homework. I’m the type of person who has a million playlists for each random mood or emotion I have. I really love how music can make me feel a whole range of emotions like for example, energized in the mornings, calm before sleeping, or even serve as a supplement to a crying sesh. I also think it’s really special how we associate certain memories with a song, especially when that memory is something happy you always want to hold onto. Every usually find a new song to fixate on every few days, playing it on repeat until I’m sick of it and never want to hear it again. My passion blogs this semester will be about my favorite songs of that week. Through these blogs, I hope to document all the songs I discover and love this semester so I can look back at them reminisce on the memorable things that occurred.

This week, I’ve been listening to a lot of Bollywood music. I’ve grown up watching Bollywood movies, and they have played a huge role in my life. Bollywood hits different in my opinion and I love how it helps me connect back to my culture and the things my parents grew up surrounded by. During the snow day on Wednesday, a few of my friends went to the big lecture hall in Thomas and watched Bollywood movies and listened to music. One song specifically that I’ve been listening to on repeat this week is called Hamari Adhuri Kahani. This was sung by a famous singer named Arijit Singh who is known for singing amazing romance songs in Bollywood. His voice is extremely soothing and I love all of his songs. This song in particular is really beautiful not only because of the music, but because of its lyrics. The title of the song translates to “our unfinished story” and is about an unfinished love story. My favorite lyric is “waqt ki ret pe kuch mere naam sa”. This roughly translates to “on the sand of time, you left something like my name written.” I thought that was a really beautiful metaphor. A lot of the times when I listen to music I kind of brush over the lyrics and what the song is actually saying, but I think this is the kind of song where once I understood the meaning, I appreciated it so much more.

Two other songs I’ve had on repeat this week is Open Arms and Snooze from SZA’s new album. I especially love Travis Scott’s part in Open Arms. I’ve been listening to Sza’s album while I work because I think they are so chill and help me focus rather than making me energized or distracted. 

2 thoughts on “Week #1

1. I love this blog idea! I am definitely the same when it comes to listening to music and needing one for every emotion. The lyrics for the Bollywood song you mention were beautiful, and I can see why it was a favorite for the week.

2. What a fun topic idea! I’ve also been enjoying the new SZA album(the remastering of Good Days is so lovely). I also really like how you pull out your favorite lyrics or moments from songs; it helps to orient readers who’ve never heard some of the titles before.