Why I am Writing

Dear Katie,

I am about three weeks into my freshman year of college at Penn State at this point, and I am just starting to feel at home… (insert large sigh of relief here). The more I feel at home here, however, the more I cannot help wondering what is going on at home in West Chester. As I navigate through new experiences and face new challenges on campus, I constantly think about our family, and the comfort that comes from knowing I have people who are rooting for me is like no other. That steadfast support reaches me daily. Still, I am largely detached from the day to day happenings of the Camp family, and while I know that it is the nature of this season of life, it still saddens me. As such, my goal in writing this blog is to place my many, many jumbled thoughts and any sisterly advice I can share on paper (or on the internet). Why? Because you, Katie, are growing up and I am not there to witness it. Sure, I will be home on breaks and still be involved in your life, but I will be largely absent from the day to day character formation and growth. Now, this blog is called “Dear Katie,” and, if you know me, you know I have not one but two younger sisters. The reason I did not title my blog “Dear Katie and Molly, ” is not because I love Molly any less, but rather that I was there to share all of this with Molly in person. I was there when she came home from school in tears because she got a B on a test. In fact, I was there in the hallway with her just five minutes later, giving out hugs, encouraging deep breaths, and reminding her that one B on a test would not, in reality, tank her GPA and prevent her from getting into college. I was there when Molly went out with her boyfriend for the first time and needed advice on which shoes to wear with those jeans. I was there when Molly passed her driver’s test, and again, I was there when she pulled out of the driveway for the first time alone. But Katie, you are just beginning all of these exciting, scary, and pivotal moments in your life, and the sad truth is that I am three hours away in State College, perfectly accessible by FaceTime, but lacking the special guidance and mentorship as your big sister that I could offer when we both lived under the same roof. It will be years before you reach some the turning points I will write about, so keep the link to this blog somewhere safe in the meantime.

Photo Credit to Author

While this blog is titled “Dear Katie,”, you are certainly not the only one I hope to reach through my writing. The thing I value most about my friends and family is their constancy in my life. I know I can always turn to them whether I need to cry, vent, laugh, or get advice. The second-best thing, however, is turning to writing, for writing has the power to reach infinitely many more people than you could physically impact. I cannot tell you how many times I have felt completely isolated in a struggle and upon reading about someone else’s experience, felt instantly less alone. This is the power of writing: connection and community. With the technology of 2018, it is so simple to create a blog such as this to share your story, yet the effects, whether known or unknown, can be so profound. With that, I hope the stories I share for Katie can also reach other girls and serve as some good, tried and true, sisterly advice. Through and through, I am a big sister; it is who I am and what I do best. Growing up is anything but easy, and, trust me, I still have plenty of growing to do myself, but all girls go through a lot of the same trials, so, please follow along with my blogs, and feel free to replace Katie with your name. If you take anything away after reading, pay it forward and share that advice with your sister or someone who is like a sister to you. Imagine what a better place the world would be if we all supported other girls like they were our sisters.

Photo Credit to @Amy.lou.berry on Instagram

I’ll see you back here next week with my first (official) post of sisterly advice.

Until next time,

“For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands” -Christina Rossetti