Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Hey, guys! What’s going on hope your first couple weeks of college have been amazing! Welcome to my blog PSU Equestrian, where you’ll get to see why us crazy horse girls choose to spend the majority of our time not shopping or studying for school but with our four legged best friends in and outside the ring, riding and taking care of them! Horseback riding has been a passion of mine since I was 7 years old and it’s one I want everyone else around me to understand as well which is why I’m writing this blog. I want to give you guys a glimpse into the horse world, what it means to me and the impact it’s had.

So for my first blog post, I thought it’d be appropriate to start at the beginning of where my passion began. I want to bring you all to the place that got me through high school, the place where I met the people who I know are going to be in my life forever. This place is Knightsbridge Farm. I spent more time at the barn than in my own house during high school, I saw my trainer and barn friends more than I saw my parents or school friends. Now most people would probably think this is crazy but for us barn girls it’s just the way life is and I for one couldn’t be more grateful.

It was a cold and gross winter when I really learned the value of hard work. I started riding a new horse Luna and man was it hard, in the beginning, we couldn’t seem to find a connection. I spent every day that winter just figuring out how to get along with this horse, some days she would take off with me, other days she would spin and buck me off depending on the mood she was in and how I had pissed her off. Eventually, we learned to work together and created a symbiotic relationship, one where both of us were happy we could do anything my trainer asked flawlessly. It may have taken a while and lot of hard work but I  finally built a healthy and strong relationship with Luna.

Practice makes perfect

As cliche as it sounds, it’s true. I would not be the person or the rider I am today without the hard work, dedication, and perseverance that Luna taught me.

Horses always have something to teach you, and the ability to help you grow if you are willing to listen. I think that’s part of the reason I love being around horses and why I choose to dedicate so much of my time to the equine world, it’s because they make me a better person not just in the ring but outside of it as well. I can’t wait to continue my journey with horses on the Penn State Equestrian Team and see where it leads me! Ride on State!

One thought on “Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

1. Kiki, I love how you took your first post to denote how your love for riding horsing really started. I also really liked how you took the time to describe the struggle you had connecting with a new horse. What specifically did you to with your horse to gain that “connection”? What mental and emotion struggles did you go through? I found the rest of your blog really interesting and really felt transported to a barn myself especially through your use of graphics.