Florence!

Today’s travels take us to one the most popular and renowned cities of the world. Florence is the capital city of the Italian region Tuscany. Florence is famous for its European mid-evil history and is said to be the birthplace of the Renaissance. The city has beautiful architecture unique to its history and is host to up to 1.7 million visitors a year. The city is also host to hundreds of students a year studying abroad.

There are countless attractions to visit in this city. Among them are Basilica Di Santa Maria del Fior, otherwise known as the main church of Florence. The cathedral was built in the 5th century and was built on the site of an earlier cathedral dedicated to Saint Reparata. Due to age the building began to crumble and has undergone numerous repairs. It also had to be expanded to accommodate the growing population of the city. Today, the cathedral’s structure is unparalleled and is the church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Florence.

Florence-Duomo-Nov07-RAW4827AR900

Among other attractions such as buildings, bridges, and restaurants, is Michelangelo’s statue of David. David is a masterpiece sculpted between 1501 and 1504. The statue is a representation of the biblical hero of David and was originally placed in a public square. The statue soon came to symbolize defense of civil liberties embodied in the Florentine Republic. David stands at 17 feet tall and is now placed in Florence’s Accademia Gallery.

david

Needless to say, Italy is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but the wonders of Florence are unique, intriguing, culturally enriched, and special. The city is old but contemporary and a place where I would love to escape to. One day I’ll walk the streets of Florence and bask in the intricate beauties of the Tuscan city.

One thought on “Florence!

1. Kelly

Florence is beautiful! All of Italy is actually. But there’s so much to see in Florence. If you like museums, Florence is for you! I went to Florence when I was in fifth grade, and loved it! There’s so much history in this one city and such beautiful art. I know reading about these things is completely different than seeing it. I highly recommend going to Florence if anyone gets the chance!