Love is All You Need

To start off this blog post I have an important announcement to make: on Friday I am going home for break and seeing Charlie! That’s it, thats the announcement, and I promise its important and relevant.

What’s interesting is that two years ago I would’ve hated to come home to a dog. The jumping, the smell, please just let me take off my shoes and throw myself onto the couch in peace. So what did Charlie really do to change me so much?

Turns out I didn’t realize the most important thing having Charlie as a dog has done for me until I went to college.
As we all know, in college you’re at class or at work or out studying somewhere, and your last event ends for the day and you make your way back to your dorm room. You open the door and either you’re greeted by your roommate (how you feel about that depends on how you feel about your roommate, I suppose) or by an empty dark room. For me, this was one of the hardest things about college, that change from living in a house full of family and pets where it was impossible to be alone to living somewhere where it was really easy to go home to being alone or in the presence of someone you’ve only known for a few months.

In high school, when I would come home from school, I was almost always the first person home for the day. But I wasn’t really alone, because there was Charlie, sitting attentively in his crate begging to be played with and taken on a walk. Some days it seemed like a burden that I would have to fit taking the dog on a walk into my already busy schedule and then deal with him following me around the house and trying to sit on my lap. What I didn’t realize until I got to college was that I never felt alone when I had Charlie at my heels whenever I was: at home, on a hike, or at my gramma’s house.

Look, life is hard, and we all need others to be by our side to make it a little bit easier and a lot more fun. I discovered that a dog can be that for me, especially in the moments where we would otherwise be alone. A dog’s unconditional love and loyalty and unwavering belief that you are exciting and wonderful makes them so special, and honestly I can’t imagine a life without one.

Which brings me back to my first point, that on Friday I’m going to open my front door and Charlie is going to rush me and lose his mind and I’m going to hug him and carry him around for the rest of the evening.

So yeah, I never thought that I’d ever want to come home to a dog, but now I know that it is something that I want for the rest of my life.