Taylor Swift Releases “Red” to the World!

On October 20th, Taylor Swift released her new album, “Red,” unto the world. Her last release, “Speak Now,” came out back in 2010. Needless to say it’s been awhile, and huge Taylor Swift fans (like myself) are rejoicing. Instead of writing a formal blog I’m going to have a little fun with this one and discuss my 2 favorites from the album, “22” and “Stay, Stay, Stay.” Enjoy!

2391-taylor-swift-red-lips-hd-1280x720-1

1. “22” – This song is about going out, enjoying life, and just having a good time. The song uses the phrase “I don’t know about you / But I’m feeling 22” as the central theme. As a 22 year old, you are officially an adult and the world is yours. Taylor uses this idea as the main inspiration for writing the song. The song is a lot of fun to listen to, and even if you’re not 22 (which no one in our english class is, I think), it still captures the excitement of being young with the world at your fingertips. This idea is clear in the first verse of the song:

It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
And make fun of our exes, ah ah, ah ah.
It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight
To fall in love with strangers, ah ah, ah ah.

Yeah,
We’re happy free confused and lonely at the same time
It’s miserable and magical, oh, yeah
Tonight’s the night when we forget about the deadlines
It’s time

All the activities listed by Taylor (dress up like hispters, make fun of our exes, breakfast at midnight, fall in love with strangers) are ridiculous and random, but that’s the point. With life being completely open and free, why not take advantage of it? This is exactly what Taylor goes for, and she nails it. Listen to it yourself:

2. “Stay, Stay, Stay” – This song is one of Taylor’s happier songs, which describes the perfection of her current relationship. Regardless of however many silly fights her and her boyfriend have, a relationship is so much more than the sum of its little arguments. This truth is explained in the very first verse and the chorus, which is included below:

I’m pretty sure we almost broke up last night.
I threw my phone across the room at you.
I was expecting some dramatic turn-away,
but you stayed.

This morning I said we should talk about it.
‘Cause I read you should never leave a fight unresolved.
That’s when you came in wearing a football helmet and said “okay, let’s talk.”

And I said,
Stay, stay, stay.
I’ve been lovin’ you for quite some time, time, time.
You think that it’s funny when I’m mad, mad, mad.
But I think that it’s best if we both stay.

As she explains, the fight her and her boyfriend had last night was so bad Taylor threw her phone across the room. And although she was expecting her boyfriend to walk out, he stayed. The next morning, Taylor brings up discussing the fight. Instead of sitting down and being serious, her boyfriend walks in with a football helmet and says “okay, let’s talk.” Taylor’s boyfriend removes all stress from the situation with his clever joke. If he’s wearing a football helmet, he won’t have to worry about any phones being thrown at him. Well played, sir. The chorus sums up the entire first verse by recognizing that their relationship is worth so much more than the silly fights they have, and no matter how many stupid fights they have, they need to remember to “stay.”

Instead of past relationships that involved selfishness, the relationship described in the song a mutual happiness that Taylor knows needs to stay. It’s definitely one of my favorites off the album because of how catchy and happy it is. It captures that feeling you get when you fall in love, admit your love to someone, and have them reciprocate the feeling. Nothing in the world feels better, and creating a song that captures the feeling is spectacular accomplishment. Listen to it yourself:

Some other songs I enjoy on the album are “State of Grace”, “Red”, and “Holy Ground.” Listen to them if you wish, you won’t be disappointed!

swift1

The album really is a thumbs up.

2 thoughts on “Taylor Swift Releases “Red” to the World!

1. Pingback: We Love Taylor Swift

2. Pingback: Class Is In Session: Life Lessons From Professor T. Swift | News of the World : Philippines