Wiz Khalifa’s “Cabin Fever 2” Mixtape

On October 16th, Wiz Khalifa released his newest mixtape, “Cabin Fever 2.” This mixtape is a precursor to his newest album, “O.N.I.F.C.”, which is set to release on December 4th. Personally, I’ve only been a lukewarm Wiz fan. For one, he often seems lazy. “O.N.I.F.C.” was originally supposed to be released on August 28th but for some reason was delayed twice to December 4th. Even though he had to delay his album, he still had time to make a mixtape. How does that make sense? Questions from angry fans aside, “Cabin Fever 2” is one of Wiz’s better mixtapes, in my opinion.

Wiz_Khalifa_Cabin_Fever_2

The cover to Wiz’s “Cabin Fever 2” Mixtape.

The main reason I like rap is because it’s basically “pump-up” or “swag” music. Rappers typically rap about how they’re the shit and no one else lives like them, which creates a mood of cockiness. Paired with deep bass and a good beat, the music creates a similar cocky mood to the listener. Because of this, I tend to listen to rap before I have to do something big, like an exam or a speech. “Cabin Fever 2” has become a new favorite because a lot of songs on the mixtape are in the “swag” category. Granted its a Wiz mixtape so many of the songs are more chill and marijuana-friendly, but there are enough “swag” songs to keep me happy.

img-wiz-khalifa-1_120616848262

Maybe not the best role model, but definitely a talented rapper.

Some of my favorite songs from the mixtape are “Bout Me ft. Problem and Iamsu!”, “MIA ft. Juicy J”, and “Fucc Shit ft. Menace.” “Bout Me” is the strongest “pump-up” song of the mixtape, and it features a heavy bass and cocky lyrics. The song is about how no one lives life like Wiz, or that know one knows “bout me.” Just a small blurb of the lyrics is enough to tell this is a very cocky song:

Worried bout a hater? Not me
Turned to the max, no sleep
Smoked a hundred joints to the face
Give a fuck what a bitch nigga say

Everything about me (bout me)
Everything about me (bout me)
Everything about me, everything about me (bout me)
Everything about me (bout me)
Everything about me (what?)

The song is cocky, explicit, and straightforward, but that’s exactly why it was produced. You can listen to it below:

“MIA” is also a very “pump-up” song, but it’s a little less cocky and straightforward than “Bout Me.” The song is about how Wiz has been all over the world and will continue to be, so he’s always “MIA.” The first verse speaks for itself in the various places Wiz has been:

I be over seas, I be in LA
I be in the South, trappin hard all day
I’m from Pittsburgh but I be in the Bay
I be in New York, I be MIA
I be in Chitown where they quick to spray
I be in Detroit where they gettin paid
I be overseas, I be in LA
I be in New York, I be MIA

As the first verse shows, the world is Wiz’s. You can watch the music video below:

The final song, “Fucc Shit” is a more classic Wiz song. It’s slower, chiller, and more of a song to listen to when just hanging out. The song is about Wiz taking a break and reflecting on everything he’s accomplished. He starts by reminiscing to when he had nothing and was trying to succeed. From there, he thinks about where he is now and how no one saw him becoming successful. Here’s the first verse, which discusses how good it feels to finally be successful:

I always had hard beats to rap to
Always had strong, always had that sack too
I was just a young nigga getting tattoos
Now they say I’m on, yea they say I’m that dude
Great A, I’m smoking on a roll
All my clothes smell like chronic smoke
Shades on cause I’m fucking faded
Buyin all the bottles, show the club we made it

As the lyrics suggest, being rich and famous is a great feeling. You can listen to the full song below:

Altogether, “Cabin Fever 2” is a great mixtape. For fans of Wiz Khalifa, “Cabin Fever 2” is a great addition to Wiz’s library. While it would have been nice to have “O.N.I.F.C.” by now, “Cabin Fever 2” is enough to tide me over for now. Besides, “O.N.I.F.C.” is only a month away.

onifc

After being delayed 3 separate times, O.N.I.F.C. has high expectations.