“Fame is For Assholes”

Less than a week ago, Hoodie Allen released his newest mixtape “Crew Cuts.” Of the songs on “Crew Cuts”, “Fame is for Assholes feat. Chiddy Bang” is one of my favorites. Although I haven’t kept up with Hoodie Allen much since his EP release of “All American” last year, I found myself very intrigued by this new mixtape. “Fame is for Assholes” is about exactly what the title implies. Many famous people use their status to do whatever they want, with little thought about others. Specifically, Hoodie describes the silliness of how girls throw themselves at rappers and how the rappers who abuse that are “assholes.” The first verse offers various descriptions of this:

Bitches bow down, don’t even know me
Told me I’m a dog like Odie

… (removed because of a lot of foul language) …

Tryna live life on an everyday scheme
The minute you met me was kind of a wet dream, well
We don’t got that in common (common)
These bitches want the Action Bronson (Bronson)
I give a little Magic Johnson
Then she wanna hold my wand like Emma Watson
Oh they mad cause I got flow
And these other rappers cheesy like a nacho
So my pockets getting bigger like Levado
But you ain’t got no fuckin’ Hoodie in your Serato?

music-tour-hoodie-allen-L-AxqxX1The first line says it the best: “Bitches bow down, they don’t even know me.” Just because Hoodie is famous, girls throw themselves at him. Some of the later lines go on to describe the power of being famous: “Tryna live life on an everyday scheme / The minute you met me was kind of a wet dream, well / We don’t got that in common (common).” The first line describes how Hoodie tries to live life normally but because of fame, he can’t. The second line describes how girls become instantly turned on at the idea of fame. The third line describes how although tons of random girls are obsessed with him, he doesn’t feel the same way. Girls will fall in love with him because of fame but Hoodie isn’t looking for that in someone else. It’s hard for him to find someone because everyone else is only attracted to his fame. The final section of the verse is Hoodie addressing other rappers who are jealous of him. He embraces their hate, but only because it makes him better. He could care less about the girls that throw themselves at him. He’s just happy to finally be famous.

The chorus does the best job at summing up Hoodie’s message:

Talk to me, tell me your name
You want my life, I want the same
You say that it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be
You ain’t no celebrity, so stop
Cause fame is for assholes

The first line refers to Hoodie meeting someone new, like he does constantly. The second line is Hoodie responding by saying he’s happy with who he is and wouldn’t give up the fame he got from hard work. The next two lines are Hoodie shutting the girl down because she’s clearly only there because of fame. “You say it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be” is only said because Hoodie is famous, and he knows it. The phrase “So stop / Cause fame is for assholes” is Hoodie saying that him and girl aren’t going to go anywhere. Fame is a free ticket for rappers to sleep with a bunch of women. Hoodie recognizes this but doesn’t live that way. He recognizes the unfair balance of power fame gives people, so he ignores it and focuses on his music instead.

hoodie-allen-crew-cuts-free-album

Hoodie Allen performed at my junior prom. This was back when his first big mixtape came out, the one that got him a record deal. At the time he was brand new to music and brand new to any sort of “fame.” He attended the University of Pennsylvania, so he was obviously very intelligent. I got to meet him the night of my junior prom and I have to say he was a really down-to-earth guy. It’s great to see him now, famous, and know that fame wouldn’t go to his head. I’m excited to see what direction his music goes in the future, considering he’s changed his style a few times to try out other things. There’s no doubt in my mind though that he’ll continue producing great songs like this.

Watch the music video here: