“Sorority Girl” by Luke Bryan

Luke Bryan

Although I grew up never being a fan of country, spending my summer enjoying various country concerts with friends opened me up to loving it. Of the country artists I’ve come to love, Luke Bryan is one of my favorites. One of his newest songs is “Sorority Girl”, which was released on March 5, 2012 as a part of “Spring Break… Here to Party”, Bryan’s newest album. The song celebrates Bryan’s love for sorority girls during his college experience. The first verse recollects the amazing experience we all know and love: game day.

You got your sundress on for game day
Just to drink beer on an old tailgate
You were born and raised to be a southern belle
But in a place like this you like to raise a little hell
You got your year-round tan
You’re on the five year plan
You shake your little pom poms up in the stands

Bryan begins by describing the view of a beautiful girl at a tailgate: “You got your sundress on for game day / Just to drink beer on an old tailgate.” In the South, sundresses are the most common type of clothing worn by women. As Bryan sees this girl, he recognizes she was “born and raised to be a southern belle.” College is a different time, however, and Bryan knows this girl is at college to have fun. He can tell from the tailgate that she “likes to raise a little hell” and she’s “on a five year plan” because she won’t want to leave after four. Bryan’s chorus expresses his disbelief at all the pretty girls in all of the different sororities.

My my my little ADPi
Kappa Delta
Tri Delts you look so fine
Ooo don’t know what I’m gonna do around those
Zeta’s
Theta’s
Chi O’s
and little Phi Mu’s
Hey Yea Hey Yea
My my sorority girl
My my sorority girl

11604933

Out of all parts of college, perhaps the best part is college football. Here at Penn State, we have tens of thousands of people drive in every weekend for game day. Walking outside on a Saturday at 11 am is a spectacular site; thousands of people line the streets, yelling and jumping because of all the excitement. In the South, college football is just as huge, especially because of the nicer weather. The South is also known for Greek Life, in some cases more so than Penn State. Alabama is a great example, with 29% of men in fraternities and 38% of females in sororities (as of 2010). Luke Bryan’s song celebrates the experience of being a part of Greek Life when it comes to came day. In his opinion, few things compare to a college tailgate with Greeks, especially the beautiful sorority girls. The song is fun and upbeat and I can relate to it, which is why I like it so much. Have a listen for yourself down below, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

Penn State tailgate

The fun that is Penn State football tailgating.

One thought on ““Sorority Girl” by Luke Bryan