Adjustments

Homesickness really is the worst disease one can have. I’ve heard of the Penn State Plague, and am aware that it is just a minor cold and/or flu, but perhaps being homesick is part of that plague.

I’ve observed that it’s around this time in which students are beginning to become more anxious about wanting to see their parents. My roommate, who has never been very vocal about missing her home, told me that she didn’t realize how much she missed her parents until this week, in the midst of parents’ weekend. Of course it makes sense– if you’re settled on the fact that you won’t go home until Thanksgiving, it’s pretty easy to detach yourself away from homesickness, even if you may experience it from time to time. However, knowing that you’ll get to see your parents again in a week, even if for only a few days, makes a student feel anxious and desperate. This, in turn, only makes adjustment harder.

mom

Personally I never stopped missing my mom. With her being in Texas, of course it only became more difficult when she told me she was going to see a movie at our local movie theatre, an activity which we used to always do together, or was about to go shopping at our favorite mall. Though it seems mundane and trivial, these things were a special bond between my mom and I, which only makes them more difficult to forget. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way. Homesickness is contagious, I think, and is the hardest thing to shake.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/greetings-from-austin-postcard-mural-austin
Famous Mural in Austin

College becomes more difficult not only because you’re away from home, but because you find yourself not being able to go home at all. All of my friends who are either from Philly or Pittsburg, even from State College, often express how they are never able to travel home because they can never find time. It’s odd because most people pick college close to home because it’sĀ familiar– they grew up around the college, and want to be able to venture home. Slowly, that familiarity becomes lost just as much for in-state kids as it does out-of-state kids. I was once jealous of everyone who lived so close, even criticized them for not taking full advantage of being close to home. I only now realize that thirty minutes can seem very far when wrapped up in the life of college, which is becoming more and more demanding as time goes on. Students see parents’ weekend as a breather, a time for familiarity and closeness, something a lot of us haven’t been able to experience since we moved in.

There’s a lot of wiggle room in the topic of homesickness, as it’s different for everyone. But one thing is clear: we all love and miss our parents. I can see it when I see my roommate received a package of socks from her mom, the smallest gesture that meant the most. I can hear it when my friend is talking on the phone with his mom, and how much more he signs off with an “I love you, too.” We all feel it. It’s tough, but hopefully, that familiarity will come soon and put each heart at ease.

2 thoughts on “Adjustments

1. There are words that just spark connection. You’re absolutely right, Shiz Tzu. I have one too, and yes during rush there were common things that just made connections for you between others. In my pledge class we are going to buy a puppy Golden Retriever just to attract new people to our pledge class. As for home sickness I feel your pain, I’m from out of state too. I think your blog on missing parents in the midst of parents weekend is right on point. For both posts I do like the pictures, subjects, and content. Very relatable.

2. I can totally relate to that feeling of anxiousness students experience before seeing their family. One time in the summer, my parents said they were going to pick me up for the weekend but something came up and they weren’t able to. I was crushed because I waited 2 weeks. Hopefully your parents can make it out for Parent’s Weekend!