Afghani Fashion

Afghani fashion comprises of the rich culture and tradition embedded in every part of the country.  The Afghani culture mirrors the multi-varied ethnic groups as Afghanistan is home to several ethnicities, those including Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek, Baloch, Turkmen, and Gurjar. The clothing represents many regions and cultures in Afghanistan.

The men, women, and children wear clothing that were made out of loosely fitted cotton. Waistcoats, known as waskat, were a popular clothing item for men. These waistcoats were made out of black and red velvet and were embroidered. In the region of Qandahar, embroidery was renowned and so frequently, the waistcoats were embellished with embroidery. As mentioned earlier, women wore cotton based clothing in the summer due to the dry, arid environment and in the winter, the clothing was wool-based. Usually, the knee-length dress, called Perahaan, is known to be worn with pants, called Tunbaan. Based on culture, brightly colored Perahaans were worn by the younger population and the darkly colored Perahaans were sported by the older population. Silver jewelry were a prominent type of jewelry that had been a constant element in the traditional and contemporary Afghani fashion. Silver beads, coins, and embellishments were also seen sewn on women’s dresses. These silver ornaments are also combined with mirror pieces, colorful beads, and embroidery.

The fashion culture of Afghani women had transformed when the Talibans took control of the Afghani government. In the 1970s, women in Kabul tended to wear westernized clothing. This included knee-length skirts and heels. During and after the Taliban regime, women are seen fully clothed in Burqas. The Taliban had set a perception that wearing anything but a Burqa was immodest and a retaliation against the Taliban’s agenda. Therefore, due to societal and cultural norms set by the Taliban, women still continue to wear Burqas.

3 comments

1. Nick Finnicum · April 26, 2018 at 4:41 pm ·

I had no idea that fashion changed so drastically with the Taliban, that is surprising. While there are many different ethnicities in Afghanistan, do they typically follow the same fashion? Or do they have distinct fashions?

2. cjb6327 · April 27, 2018 at 8:23 pm ·

This post provided such an interesting take on the history and the current state of Afghani fashion. I really find it interesting that the political events line up with the changes in fashion.

3. Nate Setar · April 28, 2018 at 8:25 pm ·

I enjoyed how you mixed the history and your passion for global fashion in this post. The pictures you chose were a nice mix, and I think this was a good end for your blog series. I enjoyed gaining a better understanding about the state of global fashion, which is a topic I have never really thought of before or researched much into.