My Plan for the Future

I started these blogs off with why I wanted to become an Architect. Today, I’m writing my last blog, and I want to explain my future in Architecture.

The large studio spaces in the Stuckeman Building at Penn State.

The first step is to finish schooling. I’m almost done with one year in my five year education at Penn State. I still have a long road ahead, and while it will be difficult, I’m looking forward to all that I will learn. We are currently just getting started with designing and I’m having a great time. All the tools that I’ve been given in my first year and that I continue to get better at, will help me greatly over the next few years. Penn State has an amazing studio over at Stuckeman Building. The tall ceilings and large space is perfect for a studio setting. The faculty is also great. They provide us with many former Architects who had very successful careers. When choosing my school I’m very glad I ended up here. Between the friends I’ve made and the education I’m getting, I couldn’t ask for anything better.

Topics like design, engineering, and building codes, will be on the exam. (https://justengineeringschools.com/top-10-architectural-engineering-schools-world/)

After I graduate there is a bit of extra work I need to do in order to become a licensed architect. There’s a certain amount of internship hours that I will need to get, in several different types of categories. Some are more drafting and design-based, some jobs are more construction-based. It’s quite a lengthy process but it’s crucial to ensuring architects have much-needed experience in several different fields. There’s also 6 tests from the A.R.E that I will need to take. During school, I can start getting my internship hours, but I can’t take the A.R.E exams until after I graduate.

My father designed the house we currently live in.

Once I become licensed, I have the ability to do whatever I want. I’m certainly luckier than most, in that I have a guaranteed spot back home with my father’s business. My brother who is 4 years into his education at the University of Hartford will probably be taking over the business with me. Of course this is not binding, and me and him both have the flexibility to pursue other paths. I personally like the residential aspect of architecture and I like the area in New Jersey where I live. Many new houses are going up and my brother and I have all the opportunity we need. Plus, my father also does work with solar panel companies and we can probably take over for that too.

For me, pursuing a career in architecture had nothing to do with what my future might be like. Sure, things like the A.R.E will be difficult. Things like the internship hours will be time-consuming. And having my father’s business to fall back on is certainly lucky. But I just like architecture, and I will continue to pursue it, because I love it.