Segway to Second Semester

As soon as we started to discuss the “This I Believe” assignment on the first day of class, I knew that I was going to have a hard time pulling up some single idea that describes who I am. That may have been the case for many of you too. “This I Believe” seems to make you derive something in your life that makes you special and then explain how this specific experience has led to your belief. I do not have any one life changing event that fulfills this, so I will have to reflect on some broader concept. One topic that really excites me is travel. Throughout my life, I have been very fortunate to have visited many states around the country and have gone to Europe twice. Although the meaning of each trip does not stay constant, the need for traveling and seeing different places remains. Another possible subject could be the importance of a strong, positive family-like influence within a person’s life. This seems very cliche and I would have to find some type of unique perspective to give the audience interest, but I pick this because of my childhood and how I was able to grow through the amazing people in my family. Both of these ideas are common, so I might need to pull from something my life that is a little more personal. I’ll be thinking over the weekend.

Last semester, my passion blog attempted to discuss historical buildings and what each of these buildings describes about the society that built that specific building. I have a passion for buildings and history, so I enjoyed this blog, but I found myself not truly having enough background information to form my own opinions on the subject. In order to maintain a blog I would look forward to writing (considering all of the research I would have to do for each of my old blogs), I believe in need to move away from buildings and focus on something I have had a passion about for a long time: professional golf. The Professional Golfer’s Association host the world’s most skilled, famous golfers, and each week a tournament is held. My new blog will incorporate the players of this tour, but I will figure a specific topic soon.

With us having such a charged year in terms of political discourse, it would be hard not to want to continue the discussion of the presidential election. So many political questions are being asked today by a larger population of Americans, I would say politics continues to contain an infinite amount of civic issues. I like the idea of diving into the civic discourse that bombards us all everyday and how it affects our lives. On another note, the role of public education has been of interest to me for a long time, and I would like to continue my knowledge when it comes to our public systems, how they run, and how we can make them better.

One thought on “Segway to Second Semester

1. Hi Patrick,
    In terms of the “This I believe” assignment, I like the idea of traveling better. Though both the idea of traveling and family are common ideas, I feel like people talk about family-related topics more than traveling. Depending on how you write it, I feel like you could write your “this I believe” essay in a way that really represents who you are and why you believe traveling is an important aspect of your life.

I also think switching your passion blog would be a good idea because in my opinion, a passion blog is only reflective of yourself if it is something you are truly passionate about – so writing about professional golf would complete this task. How will you differentiate each blog post? Will you have an overarching question for each blog to be answered? Will you talk about different golfers each blog? Nonetheless, I did read your blog last semester and thought it was interesting too.

While I’m not usually a politics person, I did find myself engaging in political discussions and keeping up with the news given this year’s strikingly different presidential candidates. My advice for the civic issues blog (if you decide to do politics) try to talk about questions that other people may not. I think you should really think deep and come up with questions that though are relevant, are not yet talked about so much already.

I’m excited to read your posts!