Genera+ion my beloved

Generation (TV Series 2021) - IMDb

Ahh Genera+ion, the 2021 teen drama and comedy written by queers for queers. It’s a show with a very diverse cast that tells the complex and layered stories of modern teens as they explore their sexualities. As such, it meant so much to so many people (myself included) who were finally able to feel seen and understood, finding different parts of themselves in all of the characters on screen.

Watching this show served as a moment of enlightenment for me as I was discovering myself more this past summer, changing my view of my sexuality. A show like this with immaculate representation of queer teens can be so meaningful and influential if you’re struggling with your identity. I have read many stories of how many people have been impacted by a single season of this show, which have been written as part of the effort to save it. Yes, you read that correctly. Unfortunately, it was recently announced that Genera+ion was cancelled by HBO Max, and will not continue into a second season. This post will be a kind of (spoiler-free) tribute to Genera+ion, which holds a very special place in my heart.

Genera+ion tells the stories of the following amazing characters as high schoolers in Orange County, California:

Genera+ion' Season 1 Episode 5 Recap: The Joy Of Found Families

Riley is a rebellious character with a love for photography. She struggles with anxiety and divorced parents, and explores her sexuality over the course of the show. (Did I fall in love with her character a little bit? Maybe.)

Chester is a good student and star water polo player who often gets dress coded because of the outfits he absolutely rocks at school. With his grandmother as his only family, Chester often grapples with loneliness.

Greta is an awkward introvert who opens up more as she spends time with Riley and Chester. She deals with her mother’s deportation and tries to learn more about her own sexuality, but her mother won’t understand.

Meet Zelda Barnz, the teenager behind HBO Max's edgy new show 'Genera+ion'

Nathan is a generally nervous boy who has come to terms with his own sexuality, but struggles to get along with his twin sister Naomi and be accepted by his conservative and religious parents. He makes a lot of bad decisions, but he has a good heart.

Arianna has two dads and is known to make homophobic jokes. Delilah is an activist and just wants the best for everyone in the world. J is kind of just along for the wild ride with everyone else. And Sam is the guidance counselor who looks out for all of these kids, becoming the new advisor of the GSA.

Over the course of the show, some of these characters are absolutely confident in their sexualities and some are trying to figure out more about who they are. They each struggle with their complex stories and backgrounds, but we watch as they all grow together. As a major point of appeal, we see gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual, and transgender representation all in this one show.

Generation canceled by HBO Max after one season | EW.com

It made me laugh and it made me cry. It was modern for teens in Gen Z without being cringey. I loved it so much as I watched it for the first time this past summer, always late at night (or rather early in the morning) somewhere between 12 and 3 AM on my couch. I felt safe, seen, and understood.

I absolutely recommend that you go watch Genera+ion, especially for the outstanding representation, but also just for the all-around incredible and entertaining plot. Enjoy the first and only season of this show. Hopefully fans will manage to save it, but I don’t know how likely it is that will happen. Either way, I want to say a big thank you to Zelda and Daniel Barnz for this masterpiece. In the meantime, I’ll be watching this show for the second time, only now it will be in my bed in my college dorm room, but I’ll be cracking up and sobbing all the same.

I hope you’re continuing to take time to learn more about yourself and your identity. As always, you’re doing great, and I’m proud of you.

With love,
PJ <3

Photo Credits:

Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

3 thoughts on “Genera+ion my beloved

1. I absolutely loved reading your blog, I’ve never even heard of this show but thank god I have an HBO MAX subscription because now I will be watching.

2. I really don’t watch TV but the way you went into depth describing this show and how it affects people really makes me want to watch it. Nice structure too!