Issue Proposal

A lot of people who are at Penn State Abington, whether it be students, teachers, custodians, bus drivers, or other faculty members on campus, are aware about the Lares Cafeteria. Sure, it may be small, but it does a good job providing everyone with the meals they need to get through the day. However, with so many students and teachers around campus, it’s easy for it to get crowded around that area, especially around lunchtime. And sadly, it’s the only place to get food while on campus. Therefore, I’d like to propose that we give Penn State Abington another cafeteria around campus. This campus has about 3,000 students on campus, and that number is growing at a rapid pace. We need to find new ways to provide students food while not making them too crowded around each other. But sometimes, other people may eat in the café, so we would want to make them feel welcome around campus and a crowded lunchroom could ruin the comfort. Of course, there are zoning laws that prevent the construction of new buildings around campus. This means that construction needs to be limited to the area we have before the law kicks in. So, we need to create a new café without breaking these rules.

The lack of more cafes around campus does have added consequences as well. For one, the single cafeteria is the only place where students can eat around campus, and as I mentioned, it can get crowded really fast, especially when more students enroll here. But the café also closes around 6 PM, so students taking late classes won’t have a place on campus to eat after class. Plus, going off-campus to eat could be time consuming due to traffic around Abington and how crowded those places can get around lunchtime or dinnertime. And the potential lack of time between classes can make this process hard to deal with. In addition, some students rely on getting their food here rather that at off-campus restaurants. And this does make our campus look harsh compared to other campuses that have more than one café around campus to help students get their food easier without having to worry about time.

There are many ways I can use the media to help argue that this is a serious problem that needs to be changed. As I said, other campuses have more than one café, so I might consider discussing comparisons between our campus and other ones to help bring about the effort to make changes with our campus. It is true that we don’t have as many students around campus as other schools would, but some students might only have night classes. I also might want to do some video research on how a crammed cafeteria can affect students, as well as images on the matter. I also could try to do research on the psychology of students who do not get the food they need while on campus, especially for those who take night classes. That could also prove how my argument is valid. Finally, I’ve done research about this campus when I was trying to decide where I would transfer to, and I came across a proposal for two new buildings to be built on campus. One building will be a student union, and it includes a dining hall. It may be in planning phases right now, but I do want to support a possible future where those buildings exist. I will use images from the sight in my report to help my argument even further.

Overall, I want to propose for a new dining hall to be made for students to eat at. That way, students can have more options to eat from while on campus and potentially get food later in the day as well. The amount of students on campus is growing, and I want to help support changes to help accommodate the growing numbers. I look forward to a day where this campus can give more students the things they need to make their college lives memorable.