Top 10 Reasons Why I Came To Penn State, And Why You Should Too

The college process can single-handedly be one of the most stressful and daunting times in teenage life. For me, I had no idea what I wanted to do, nor where I wanted to go. But, I knew one thing for sure: I was definitely NOT going to Penn State. Between the vast amount of peers that I knew attending and applying as well as the consistent parent pressure to go to my state school, I wanted to create my own path.

Looking through brochures and going on many, many campus tours, I finally gave into my parents and agreed to go up to visit State College for a weekend. Following my first visit, I decided to come up the next weekend and then, once again, the weekend after that. I hated to admit  it, but I knew I was going to attend The Pennsylvania State University.

Each and every teenager is in the same boat with the college process, weighing opinions and making important decisions on where their next four years of their life will be spent. Without lack of bias, here are 10 reasons why I came to Penn State University, and why you should too:

1. Football

Football is more than a sports game at Penn State. Here, football is a culture, a way of life. Game days are some of the most important and exciting days on campus. Similar to that “Friday Night Lights” feeling, Saturday mornings make us, Penn State students, feel like apart of something much bigger than us. Beaver Stadium holds our entire family, considering it is the second largest football stadium in the nation. And not to mention, we did not lose a home game last year, so we are kind of a B1G deal.

2. Opportunities

It seems as though the opportunities that stem from Penn State are endless. Because of the vast alumni connections and the programs that the university provides, the Class of 2017 had an overall career success rate of 94% out of college. When walking into an interview, the Penn State name carries a lot of weight and importance. Alumni and other employers know the work ethic and drive of Penn State students and this eases the worries of graduate students seeking for jobs.

3. Involvement Activities

Do you like cheese? How about bees? Are you interested in playing a laid-back game of ultimate frisbee? Penn State has over 1,000 student run organizations to get involved with that range from the Cheese Club, to the Beekeepers Club, club and intramural sports, religious-affiliation clubs, service clubs, career oriented organizations, and so much more. There are over 70 sororities and fraternities that fuel the thriving Greek Life on campus. And if this does not prove enough to you, I assure you that THON will. THON is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, and was founded here at Penn State. THON raises millions of dollars each year for pediatric cancer and makes a world of a difference for not only these kids, but their families too. Thousands of students flood the BJC for a 46 hour, no sitting, dance marathon. Over the years, THON has raised over $157 million and continues to raise more each year. Now who does not want to be a part of something as amazing as that?

4. Berkey Creamery

I bet you have heard the saying, “Once you drink the water, you can’t turn back”. Here at Penn State, we’ve got that, except it revolves around our world famous Berkey Creamery ice cream. This infamous ice cream is designed and made on-campus and it takes merely 4 days to get from cow to cone, assuring you that your ice cream is always fresh. If you do not believe me, try for yourself. But remember, you are not allowed to mix flavors!

5. Academics

You’ve worked four hard years to reach this point. Academics have been such an important part of getting into and prepared for applying to colleges. So, inevitably, the academic programs and success rates are a crucial piece of choosing a university. Penn State is in the top 1 percent of universities worldwide and was granted the highest rating for research universities by the Carnegie Foundation. There are over 275 majors and even more minors to choose from, allowing students to create their own path. There is a 16:1 student to teacher ratio and an average freshman retention rate of 96%. Penn State provides the best.

6. Campus 

From Old Main to the Hub Lawn to the Arboretum, Penn State’s campus provides many photo-op moments. The photo of Beaver Stadium with the sign glowing might just be everyone’s favorite. Penn State’s state of the art campus provides a comforting, homey feeling, along with plenty of luxury. The newly renovated buildings are strikingly beautiful and integrated with eco-friendly appliances, like the water bottle fountain and various recycling and trash options. Penn State has over 31 LEED certified buildings across campus. Take a stroll through campus and see the beauty for yourself!

7. Food

I have always been a big foodie, so it was so important to me that the university I attended had delicious and healthy options. Penn State’s dining commons provide over 35 places to eat with various dining halls, grab-and-go stations, and markets. Aside from on campus dining options, a food tour of downtown is a must. From Gumby’s famous Pokey Sticks to Are U Hungry? and back to Bagel Crust, the food options here definitely do not disappoint.

8. Community

The sense of community at Penn State is astounding. We have the largest alumni association in the world, with over 700,000 living alumni members. On and off campus, if you are wearing Penn State merchandise, you are never alone. There is a sense of comfortability in knowing that there is such a large network of people in the Penn State family. Try this: next time you are in a crowded airport, restaurant, or any public place, scream out “WE ARE” and I guarantee you’ll get a overwhelming response of “PENN STATE”.

9. Safety

A major concern for both my parents and I was the safety of the campus I was living on. Whether I was walking back from the library at night alone, or even with another friend, there is always that sense of fear. Here at Penn State, they take the extra step to ensure student safety. There are Emergency Blue Lights all over campus, there is the Safe Walk program, swipe-access buildings, as well as campus police and security patrolling at all times. In fact, in 2010, State College was ranked as the third-safest metropolitan area in the United States. If you ever feel unsafe, or if something has happened, there is always someone around to help you out.

10. “That Feeling”

This one does not only apply to Penn State, so if my other 9 tips do not convince you enough, then this one’s for you to create. When I visited campus for the first time, it was THON canning weekend, so there were not that many people around. Even so, I had this feeling of utter happiness in State College. I wanted to further my experience, so I came up the next weekend for the Indiana game. As soon as I stepped foot in Beaver Stadium, I knew I belonged. You will get this feeling somewhere, so while all the other factors are very important, this one, in my opinion, is the most meaningful. Your gut really matters, so follow your feeling. I hope somewhere makes you feel as happy and Happy Valley makes me.

*All Gifs cited from giphy.com*

2 comments on “Top 10 Reasons Why I Came To Penn State, And Why You Should TooAdd yours →

1. First off, I love the gifs! I totally didn’t even think to incorporate those into my posts, so you’ve inspired me to do so. I love your comments about “That Feeling” because all of us here obviously felt that when visiting last year and deciding a college. I think your point was spot on about the gut sense you get when you walk around on campus. I also like how you incorporated the YouTube video in your blog post. Even though we all go to Penn State and have seen most of the campus before, it really adds to your point about how beautiful and high tech everything seems around campus. Overall I really enjoyed reading!!

2. Throughout your post, I enjoyed the visuals and gifs that you added – it added great humor and illustrated your points well! This is a very relatable post because the points that you outlined are also the main reasons why I came to Penn State. There is never a dull moment at Penn State with the abundance of activities and the high energy football games that go on during Saturdays. As an engineering student, I also value the great programs that Penn State has to offer. The combination of great athletics, academics, and student involvement is something that makes this university a great place to attend!