Welcome to the Pennsylvania Mathematics Initiative!
PMI is committed to:
- Improving mathematical education for all children in Pennsylvania schools at the elementary school levels.
- Strengthening the understanding and implementation of mathematics, enabling teachers to make better pedagogy decisions about mathematics.
- Close the gap between mathematical training for teachers and the demands of the contemporary mathematics classroom.
- Promote teachers’ expertise in mathematics and mathematical thinking.
- Develop teacher-leaders to aid other math teachers within their districts.
How we accomplish our mission:
- Week-long intensive summer workshops hosted on the University Park campus.
- One-day seminars focusing on implementing pedagogy in the mathematics classroom.
“I learned a lot about math and a lot about teaching. I have a new appreciation for how my students feel when learning new concepts and feel that I have a better understanding to help them work through their misunderstandings.” – 2013 Workshop Participant
How to participate
If you are interested in participating in one of the PMI workshops, check the Blog for announcements or email Andrew Baxter (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join the mailing list. Announcements for summer workshops are made by January.
If you are interested in having a PMI workshop come to your district or Intermediate Unit, contact Andrew Baxter (email@example.com).