In the morning we made sure everyone learned names with the Name Game. Then we got out Fran’s motion detector to get some experiential basis for reading lines on a coordinate plane. Following break we did a bit of catch-up by thinking about processes and inverse processes from last week’s Unit 3.
Following lunch we started the Functions and Algebra Unit 1. We first considered feet-to-inches conversions and the inverse operation (1.1 – 1.4). We then skipped over the currency conversion problems and opted instead for the rice-and-water problems. We saw how te inverse relationship between the two processes showed up in the graphs as a reflection about the diagonal. After the break, we tried the 3-act math problem “Nana’s Lemon-water” from Dan Meyer’s blog dy/dan. We then delved deeper into why the reflection about the diagonal should correspond to the inverse relationship, and then pushed forward into pages 1.16-1.18.
- Dan Meyer’s Blog, where we talks about 3-act math and more: dy/dan
- Connecting Arithmetic to Algebra.
- Functions, Algebra, and Geometry Course Overview (pages 0.1-0.2)
- Unit 1: Proportion and Linear Relationships (pages 1.1-1.32)
- Reading: Principles to Action. Section “Access and Equality” (pages 59-69)
- Problems on Processes: MSL Unit 3
- Page 3.21, problems 3 (all) and 4 (all).
- Page 3.22, problems 1a and 1c
- Film Developing Recap at Dynamic Developers 1.19 – 1.20. Problems 1-5 (we will go further on Tuesday).