We are happy to announce we will be offering the following workshops in 2018!
In all cases, the workshops run 9am-4pm every day. There is an expectation that participants attend for the entirety of every day, and budget an hour each evening for homework and readings. All workshops are facilitated by Penn State faculty members.
This summer’s workshops will be:
Week 1: Math as a Second Language
- Content focus on K-5 threads of Number, Operation, and Algebraic Thinking.
- Pedagogy discussions on research-supported classroom practice for mathematics.
Week 2: Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning
- Formerly called “Functions and Algebra”
- Continues the themes of Math as a Second Language to develop more Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning. We explore how elementary mathematics provides the foundation for grades 6-9.
- Continues pedagogy discussions on research-supported classroom practice for mathematics.
- Math as a Second Language is a pre-requisite for this workshop.
- You may apply for Week 1 without Week 2, but it is recommended you take both weeks concurrently if possible. Preference will be given to those participants who can complete both weeks in the same summer.
Participation in these workshops is free, but space is limited to 24 participants. Participants will receive 30 credit-hours per week toward continuing education (Act 48) requirements. Selected participants may also receive compensation for travel or lodging, based on need. Due to funding considerations, we do not expect to be able to provide stipends as in past years.
Selection is not first-come-first-served. Participants are chosen with the intent to balance grade bands, district need, geography, and other factors.
Contact Andrew Baxter firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Facilitators: Andrew Baxter, Fran Arbaugh, Andrea McCloskey, and Matt Katz.
- July 16-20: Math as a Second Language
- July 23-27: Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning
We are currently pursuing funding to offer additional workshops in Summer 2018. These will also be posted on this page once they are confirmed.