We are happy to announce we will be offering the following workshops in 2017!
In all cases, the workshops run 9am-4pm every day. There is an expectation that participants attend for the entirety of every day, and budget an hour each evening for homework and readings. All workshops are facilitated by Penn State faculty members.
This summer’s workshops will be:
Week 1: Math as a Second Language
- Content focus on K-5 threads of Number, Operation, and Algebraic Thinking.
- Pedagogy discussions on research-supported classroom practice for mathematics.
Week 2: Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning
- Formerly called “Functions and Algebra”
- Continues the themes of Math as a Second Language to develop more Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning. We explore how elementary mathematics provides the foundation for grades 6-9.
- Continues pedagogy discussions on research-supported classroom practice for mathematics.
- Math as a Second Language is a pre-requisite for this workshop.
- You may apply for Week 1 without Week 2, but it is recommended you take both weeks concurrently if possible.
Participation in the workshops is free to participants. Participants will receive travel compensation up to $300, as well as local lodging if necessary. Pending certain funding considerations, selected participants will also receive a stipend up to $1000/week. Participants will be notified of their compensation bundle when they are selected. Space is limited to 24 participants at each workshop.
Contact Andrew Baxter email@example.com with any questions.
Facilitators: Andrew Baxter, Fran Arbaugh, Andrea McCloskey, and Matt Katz.
- July 17-21: Math as a Second Language
- July 24-28: Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning
Apply here for University Park. Applications are now being reviewed.
Penn State Brandywine
Update 4/4: We are happy to announce the workshops for Penn State Brandywine!
Facilitators: Charles Helou, Kim Schultz, Marina Skyers
- July 31-August 4: Math as a Second Language
- August 7-11: Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning
Penn State Greater Allegheny
Facilitators: Kuei-Nuan Lin, Beth Lindsey
- July 10-14: Math as a Second Language
- July 17-21: Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning
Apply here for Greater Allegheny Applications are now being reviewed.
Penn State Berks
Update 4/15: We are happy to announce a workshop for Penn State Berks!
Facilitators: Hartono Tjoe, Andrew Baxter
- June 26-30: Math as a Second Language
- Algebraic Thinking and Proportional Reasoning will not be offered at Penn State Berks in Summer 2017, although participants can apply to take it at Penn State Brandywine or Penn State University Park.