Colorblind Struggles

In class, we learned how people can be color anomolous based on a lack of one of the three cones. This is part of Young-Heomholtz’s theory that people have S-Cones, M-Cones, and L-Cones. These cones can be excited by certain wavelengths and help in distinguishing color. Without one, color could appear similar, causing difficulty in a world of color. There are some people who are truly colorblind and do not have any of these cones or only have one.

I knew a man who was color anomolous in high school, as colorblindness is more common in men. He had trouble distinguishing between blues and purples. He had told me before that he was colorbling, however, I first understood what he meant when I went to an improv performance for a club he was in at the school. It was called the Purple Monkey Club. When I saw him earlier in the day, he was wearing a blue shirt and I thought nothing of the name of the club having something to do with a type of uniform. Sitting in the audience, I was excited to support my friend and waiting for the group to walk on stage. When the lights when up, it all became clear. Out of the six students on stage, his was the only blue shirt. All of the others were purple. I overheard some laughter in the audience and instantly felt bad that I had not commented on his blue shirt earlier in the day.

I could never understand exactly what he saw with colors, but I got a glimpse of some of the struggles he must forever face. It soon just became a normal part of our friendship, something to joke about. Sometimes it would be a game for him to try and guess different colored outfits. There were times when he looked for my help in situations such as matching a tie to his date’s dress for prom.

This is the first time I was ever exposed to the struggles of those who are colorblind. I will never be able to understand what these people see as I am not colorblind but can only imagine some of the difficulties.  This class has helped me understand these issues even more.

One thought on “Colorblind Struggles

1. Candace Marie Mccarthy

I found your post to be very interesting because I can relate to it. I had a color-blind guy friend in high school, and his struggles were very evident to me. When we would go to the mall and go shopping he would say things like “that’s a cool red shirt” when we were actually looking at a pink shirt on display. Sometimes he would even comment on the color of the food that was on his plate and be completely off. I can’t directly relate to how it feels to be color blind, because I’m not. But I can relate to what it’s like to have a problem in either of the eyes, and it definitely is not fun at all. I wrote my previous blog posts on strabismus, something that I grew up with as a child. Although I was made fun of by some of my friends, I learned to live with the problem that I had with my eyes, as I’m sure your friend has done as well.