“Real” “Bad” Paradox Spiral

I am pretty sure that if I had not received as much positive reinforcement in high school that I did that I would be very much like Holden.  My personal philosophies on not liking “phonies” and trying to connect with people on a “real” level is very similar to him, and, when I look at other people and I am in a bad mood, I actually hate them because I think it is safe to say that most people are fake most of the time.  And, if I am in a sour mood I would be unwilling to fuel in my own energy to a social interaction because it simply isn’t there and by trying hard to do so or keep the mood light, I would essentially be acting “fake”.  I believe Holden’s problems are that he does not have the reinforcement from others that what he is doing is good (he is actually being expelled making it seem that he is worse than his peers), therefore causing him to not be energetic enough and too pissed off to be “real” and liked at the same time because he is so pissed off.  This just causes a spiral into depression in Holden which is, I believe, very and too common in the high school setting.  While he is real, he is actually pissed therefore creating a pissy mood.  Or, he can act happy, fueling a bit of positive energy with others but being a “phony” himself which, due to his idealistic philosophies is the number one thing he will never do.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.