Then and Now

When I read The Catcher in the Rye my sophomore year of high school, I couldn’t believe that this book was required reading for many high schools. I remember thinking, “What could this story add to my life?” Holden Caulfield was the most negative, unlikeable, and unmotivated character I had ever encountered in a story. When I read a book, I like to be inspired or learn a lesson. This book gave me little to think deeply about and I found it frustrating that I couldn’t even trust the narrator to tell the true story.

Reading it again now, I am having a slightly different experience. Although I still dislike Holden as a character, I notice that my critical reading skills have developed since now I can pick out things in the story that might not be completely true. In high school, I took the story for what it was, but now I analyze each scenario and try to disect Holden’s perception and figure out the reality. I think the reason this book is highly esteemed is because it is a story about perception, not truth. You as the reader need to judge Holden and the situations he encounters for yourself. Therefore, there are many different perceptions of the book itself because people interpret Holden’s perceptions in different ways. Some may like him or find him charming, and some are like me. One thing I still struggle with is the overall point of this book. What was the author trying to communicate through this story? It seems like Holden just wanders aimlessly throughout the book and the classic plot structure is not used by the author. There are so many questions I would like to ask J.D. Salinger about this book. Maybe that was his point, to bring about questions and allow the reader to form their own interpretations.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Then and Now

1. Mark Kim says:

I completely agree with what you have brought up, Sam. Many, if not all, classic novels are still held in high regard to this day despite their being decades/centuries old because of their ability to be interpreted in infinitely many different ways. For example, 1984 by George Orwell was published in 1949, and yet still there is so much from this novel that still applies to modern society. Then there’s Things Fall Apart: an incredible read of an incredible man of his tribal society and his experience as missionaries come change his village. To avoid digression, there are just so many different ways to look at Okonkwo’s journey. (Honestly, read it, it’s awesome)
    The good classic books are the ones without the neat tiny lesson laid out for the reader. Reading a book is a journey in itself, and there will always be different ways to look at these books.

2. Jerid Cullum says:

I feel the same way you do Sam. I enjoy reading books with characters of great morals, and just in general good people. For reading this book the first time, I found it to be very depressing. I don’t think I can analyze this book as well as you because I don’t know what is going to happen. I feel like Holden connects with other people in a depressing way on purpose. I think that every door he has gone through has resulted in a negative way, and with this past he thinks this is the only future for anyone else. I wonder if Salinger even had a point with this book, I wonder this for every book I read. If maybe, we just make up ideas about the book.