Ending

I very much like the relationship between Holden and Phoebe.  The fact that Holden seems to prefer children to adults really makes sense on my idea of Holden.  He is an idealist, unable to cope with reality, and believes growing up attributes to fake-ness.  I also like how Phoebe is more mature than Holden, even though Holden is older and has more experience.  It is an tribute to how Holden is unable to cope with the harrows of real life, to be so concerned with medial things to actually realize that he has joys in life and that if he were to disassociate from his screwed up view of how unfair the world is because most people are not very vulnerable.  I think that if Phoebe were in Holden’s position, she would be stronger than Holden in dealing with those situations.

Also, I love the meaning of “The Catcher in the Rye”.  I think that Holden wishes to be the catcher because he does not have the stones to try not be in the rye.  I think Holden wants an excuse to stay in his slump/breakdown instead of trying to put in effort to get out of it.  But, when Phoebe corrects him on the lyrics, you can see that the correction Holden needs to make in his life is that he needs to form relationships with people by being somebody who is not an all or nothing “phony” or “real” person.  That, having flaws is justified and that developing while in a state of mind where you are OK with your faults is much better than trying to hide because you can’t cope with yourself.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.