Kyle Gibson

Kyle Gibson providing Phillies with even more than they expected - The Morning CallHeading into the 2021 trade deadline, the Phillies were a .500 baseball team. But due to a poorly performing division, they sat only four games out of first place. They’ve played the same brand of baseball for the past three seasons or so, and fans disagreed on the proper course of action for the team in this year’s deadline. Some argued the Phillies needed to sell and rebuild completely, while others pictured a re-tool of the team for quicker success this season. Phillies President of Baseball Operations, Dave Dombrowski, ultimately settled on the team being a buyer, but on a minor level. The team went out and acquired SP Kyle Gibson and RP Ian Kennedy from the Texas Rangers, in exchange for pitching prospect Spencer Howard. Many were originally upset with moving on from Howard, because they didn’t realize how positively Gibson would effect the Phillies this season. 

Before being traded at the deadline, Gibson was having a career year in Texas, arguably his best. He carried a 2.87 ERA through 19 starts in ‘21 for the Rangers, the lowest mark of his career. Dombrowski saw an opportunity to bring in a ‘wily veteran’ who he knew would eat innings and get outs. A number of factors have limited the potential of the Phillies starting rotation this year – Aaron Nola’s inconsistency, Zach Eflin’s injury, and poor performances by back end pieces like Matt Moore and Velasquez. Spencer Howard was not filling the void, so the team got an upgrade at a needed position. 

Gibson’s 2021 success translated to Philadelphia. In his first start for the Phillies, a Sunday matinee in Pittsburgh against the Pirates, Gibson delivered nearly seven innings of 2-run work. He earned the Phillies a victory, showcasing why he is a successful major league arm having his best season at 33. He’ll only run his fastball up to about 91mph, not overpowering, but makes up for it with his control and changing of speeds. His style leads to lots of quick putouts in the field, tending to avoid the strikeout. Gibson is criticized for this, but it can sometimes even be more effective to pitch to contact in getting major league hitters out fast. 

Kyle Gibson resonates with Philadelphia fans as well. He hasn’t experienced much success in his career, playing primarily in lowly franchises as of recent in Minnesota and Texas. And when he was traded to a team in a division pennant race, he matched the team’s energy. Gibson’s name was called to open the division-leading series against the Mets in early August. He delivered a six-inning, one run performance and even drove-in the go-ahead run in leading the Phillies to victory. He electrified Citizens Bank Park like it hadn’t been in years. Kyle Gibson makes an immediate impact and becomes a Phillies fan favorite | Professional | pressofatlanticcity.comKyle Gibson has turned out to be a very solid pickup for Dombrowski thus far, and hopefully he continues to contribute to Phillies’ success down the stretch.

3 thoughts on “Kyle Gibson

1. Personally, I do not follow baseball. However, your posts all sound very professional and look like they could be found in a sports magazine. As someone from Pittsburgh, the only thing that I know about the Pirates is that they are very bad 🙁 Is/was there any Pennsylvania rivalry between the Pirates and the Phillies? Regardless, keep up the consistency of your blog posts and pretty soon your blog will be almost indistinguishable from a legitimate sports news outlet.

2. I do not follow baseball, and I do not know much about it all. While I was struggling a bit with the terminology in your post, I still got a great idea of what you are talking about, which, I believe, proves that the post is well written, and would be a delight to read for someone who is more aware than I am.

3. Echoing the comment above, this is very well done. Your tone is professional, and it is clear that you are well-versed in the topic of baseball. I know nothing about professional baseball. Being from Pittsburgh, the Pirates are certainly not as followed by the general populace as the Steelers and Penguins, which have found greater success in recent years. I did play baseball for many years as a kid, so I enjoy the game. I’ve attended numerous MLB games, and those have always been a good time. Impressive blog!