Brad Miller

MLB trade deadline: Brad Miller rescues a lost day for Phillies and Dave  Dombrowski | RSNSimilar to the experience many bench players had for the Phillies in 2021, Brad Miller took on a larger role than he typically would due to injury and Covid circumstances. But, Miller probably had the best season of the bench-Phillies who played in starting-caliber innings last year. Brad’s first stint with Philadelphia came in 2019, where he acted as a supplemental left-handed bat off the bench with some pop. He launched 12HRs with a .263 batting average in just over 100 at-bats, producing adequately that year. Brad isn’t known for his defensive prowess, so he was utilized in pinch-hit opportunities mostly. The Phillies didn’t re-sign Miller in 2020, so he joined the St. Louis Cardinals on a 1-year deal. He had success with some power numbers at the plate, and was consistently hitting in the cleanup spot for St. Louis. 

Phillies GM Dave Dombrowski opted to bring Miller back for the ‘21 season on another 1-year deal, standard for many players who don’t earn a starting role. He looked good in the shortened season in ‘20, so many expected him to be the Phillies’ best bat off the bench and fulfill a similar role to what he accomplished in ‘19. Yet, Miller went above and beyond his traditional role and had one of the best statistical years of his journeyed career. Miller tallied 20HRs in total, with 49RBI, playing in 140 games for the Phillies. It seemed like Brad played in just about every game for the Phils, whether he started the game, pinch-hit, or finished the game. He took on an improved role and succeeded.RING IT: Phillies win 3 out of 4 in Wrigley - The Liberty LineBrad was most impactful in 2021 from being a ‘spark plug’. He had several multi-home run games, including a 3HR game at Wrigley in July. Fans recall the memorable image of Brad wearing three of the Phillies’ “Home Run Hats” to celebrate in the dugout. Later in July, Miller hit a walkoff grandslam to cap a comeback from down eight runs against the Nationals. It was one of the most electrifying moments of the season for a club that fell short of October. He earned himself the nickname “Bamboo Brad” for his connection with Philadelphia fans and passion for the big moments. Miller became a free agent following the season and signed with the Texas Rangers recently, following the lockout. The Phillies are looking to bolster their hitting off the bench in place of Miller as Opening Day is quickly approaching on April 8th, 2022. 

3 thoughts on “Brad Miller

1. I’ve never been one to read in depth about star athletes and their journey through their career. But I can only imagine how exciting it feels when you are reading about an athlete, that plays the sport you like, and see the progress he or she is making and the achievements they have accomplished.

2. My brother actually lives less than a 10 minute train ride from Citizens Bank Park, we are going to a game in a couple weeks, so it’s nice to get some information on the players I may not of heard that much about this season. While my memory may be hazy I think I remember him pitch hitting in a game this summer in San Francisco that I went to. Very cool blog.

3. I’ve never followed sports much, so I don’t know how impressive his numbers really are. The article makes it sound like he’s quite good though, so I hope he gets a larger contract. I’m all for players getting a larger portion of the money that they’re helping to generate. I also don’t know how successful the Phillies have been this season, but hopefully they do well.