Op-Ed: You Don’t Have Your Life Together and You Should Be Worried

Yeah, I know what you are probably thinking right now. College is going to be the best four years of your life. I’m here to ask, will it really be though?

Good luck being yourself as you come to terms with the soul-sucking realization that you have absolutely no idea what the hell you want to do with your life. I mean… really…taking a creative writing class to fill your ‘artsy’ side? It isn’t going to halt the impending march of time slowly eating away at your body. OK, so you think you want to study finance? Have fun watching the days turn to night, spectating the seasons changing over and over and over again as you sit in your cushioned, yet isolated, office desk day after day after day…

Even though your life is a brief flicker in the darkness that is the universe, go ahead and freak out at that B+ in CMPSC 311. We all know that in 40 years, as you reach the midpoint of your life, those wasted credits will prove to be the deciding factor on your happiness.

So, go ahead, worry. You don’t know what you are doing with your life. You don’t know where you want to go. You don’t know who you want to be. Enjoy the deeper and deeper slide into the waking existential nightmare that is your existence. Worry, because deep down, you know, this worry will eat away at your soul for the rest of your life.

Also, my advice, take Art 119 with Professor Bell. It really is a fun course!