Week 9: Thank You PIRE

I completely lost track of time with this project, and it has been such an enriching experience. I can't believe the official time is over. I am so thankful for PIRE research coming when it did. It gave my summer some sense of normalcy in a very new and different...

read more

Week 8: Just keep writing, writing, writing

This week was a really enjoyable one. I feel redundant saying that I am still writing and working on my research brief, but that is the basic progress of things right now. The progress I have made this week makes me feel like the work is really coming along. We hope...

read more

Week 7: Recap of more Revision

This past week flew by. I spent the time rewriting once again. I have finally found the voice and direction we want to go with for this research brief. I am currently really excited and trying to get more and more words on the page. I still tend to overthink my...

read more

Week 6: Write, Rewrite, Revise

This week I have moved into the writing process of our research brief. We hope to inform the public and parents of deaf children through this brief. Gallaudet has a set of research briefs they publish on their website through their VL2, an NSF Science of Learning...

read more

Week 5: Moves are being Made

This week has been full of great moves toward our end goal. I finalized our stacked bar graphs for publication at a later date. In addition, I created some new tables that are more appealing and easier to read for someone unfamiliar with the work we are doing. I am...

read more

Week 4: Woah We Are Halfway There

I cannot believe this experience is halfway over for our Summer portion of working. This past week, and these past four weeks, have flown by. This past week, I worked on finishing up some large tables, pulling together our visuals, and writing descriptions this past...

read more

Week 3: Little Speed Bumps

This week was off to a really great and exciting start. In our Monday morning meeting we planned ahead for this week. We decided to narrow down the comparisons between Deaf children with hearing parents and those with Deaf parents. We then split them by delayed or not...

read more

Week 2: Off and running

While still adjusting to work from home life, we are off to work with the project. Instead of running next door to the other office to ask a question to my advisor, we email back and forth now a days. This week I worked on creating a new variable. We created a group...

read more

Week One: Remote Research to the Rescue

I was so excited when we were emailed an exciting announcement that they had figured a way for us to stay involved in this program. I was nervous in learning to use the technology and programs remotely, but I was also very ready to start the adventure (even if it was...

read more

8 weeks later…

As I sit down to write this post, it is hard to put into words these past eight weeks. It is even more difficult to believe that my PIRE experience is coming to an end. Maura and I did something different from the typical PIRE path by doing an analysis from previously...

read more

A Relaxing Weekend and a Familiar Face

Our weekend started with a nice meal and a relaxing night in. The following day, Dana and I had a delicious brunch (clearly a big part of DC culture, as I have mentioned it in every blog post) and then spent the day at the National Museum of American History. On...

read more

A Penn State Visit!

On Monday, Maura and I were fortunate to have Dr. Miller visit us at Gallaudet University. We were excited to show her around, explain what we have been working on, and to get her input on our research. We started the day with a meeting that included Dr. Allen and Dr....

read more

A Lot of Exploring, A Lot of Writing

After last week's work, I had a weekend full of exploration. Dana and I paid a visit to the Library of Congress, where we saw a few exhibits about the early Americas, the fight for women's suffrage, and Thomas Jefferson's personal library (which helped to replace the...

read more

Unlimited exploring

After being here for six weeks, I would say I am pretty confident with my D.C knowledge: the metro, directions to places, and even a little history. But, it feels as though there is so much to do in this city! While Maura and I have seen so much, it feels like there...

read more

A Family Visit and More Progress

Last weekend, my family decide to come down to DC for the weekend to visit and celebrate Father's Day. On Saturday, we ventured down to the Wharf for dinner and a boat tour of the monuments. Then on Sunday, my sister and brother-in-law who live in Maryland made the...

read more

A quick trip and research progress

Another week, another post! I feel like the days are going by more quickly as the summer is going on. There is still a lot to accomplish, so we are hard at work! This weekend I visited the city of Baltimore to go to a baseball game, which is one of my favorite...

read more

Halfway Done!

This past week was quite eventful, for both our work life and our social life! Our weekend started with a trip to the United States Botanic Garden, where we saw so many beautiful flowers and plants, and even got to try some raw local honey (it was crazy sweet!) We...

read more

A different kind of trivia night!

What a great week it has been in DC! Unbelievable to think that there are only four weeks left here. This week we continued to explore, participated in an unique game night, and did more data analysis! Last Friday after work, we went to visit the United States Botanic...

read more

Week Three? It’s History!

After a solid second week of research, we spent a quiet night at home last Friday to just relax a bit. Then on Saturday, I had a simple brunch and an afternoon visit to the Smithsonian Museum of American History, which I had not visited in many years. Although I...

read more

All about data!

As my third week is winding down, I am both shocked by how quickly time is going and how much has been accomplished. Unlike most PIRE experiences that involve testing participants, my project is analyzing data that was previously collected. My days mostly consist of...

read more

Museums and Lessons and Tours, Oh My!

After a pretty successful first week, we launched into the weekend with a visit to the Sculpture Garden for a DC summer classic, Jazz in the Garden! We enjoyed an evening of live music and conversation around the fountain and soaked in some much-welcomed sun. It was a...

read more

Busy, busy, busy!!!

It has been a week since my last post and there has much so much going on both in the city and at Gallaudet University. Here is what we did... This weekend, Maura and I had the opportunity to explore the city and we were very fortunate to have amazing weather while we...

read more

Going to Gallaudet

So... after a three and a half hour car ride to our Airbnb, then a bus, a metro, and a 15 minute walk, I am finally on Gallaudet University's campus! We arrived in DC on Monday night and started work Tuesday morning. At the metro stop, we met our advisor Dr. Thomas...

read more

First few days

Checking in from Gallaudet University! We are getting settled into our new home and learning our way around. It took some time, but we eventually figured out the metro and bus system here. We are already getting involved in our project and I can already see progress...

read more