Sweden must be sad that we’re leaving…

by Elizabeth R Mormer ...because it has rained non-stop for four days. The rainy weather interrupted Midsummer celebrations, so Emma and I did not have the opportunity to take part in eating salted herring and dancing merrily around the maypole (I'm not too upset...

read more

You Speak Only in Vowels

by Emma Weiss Hance As a bit of a self-proclaimed language nerd, when I landed in Sweden (well, technically Copenhagen) I had this crazy idea that, at the end of my 8 weeks in Lund, I'd have a pretty solid foundation in Swedish. Then I actually heard the language and...

read more

Empty Campus

by Elizabeth R Mormer After 6 weeks, 27 participants, and mountains of voice recordings and reaction time data, the end of my trip to Sweden is nearing. While I'm excited that I will be back in the USA just in time for the 4th of July, I will definitely miss working...

read more

Happy Independence Day, Sweden!

by Elizabeth R Mormer Today I opened up Google only to be pleasantly surprised with the Swedish flag (still not sure if that's just because I'm in Sweden). Today is Sweden's version of the 4th of July--"Independance Day." It's actually nothing like the 4th of July....

read more

All in the Name of Participants…

by Emma Weiss Hance Scandinavians have a bit of a reputation for being "slow to warm" - hard to "crack" but once beyond the barrier, a friend for life. For the longest time, I thought that this was merely an exaggeration, a contrast between a "normal" people and the...

read more

Participants, lingonberries, and bröd

by Elizabeth R Mormer This week I ran my first participant and learned some things about the Swedish IRB. Here it is common practice to give movie ticket vouchers (which are equivalent to almost $20!) as compensation for experiments, and participants are not used to...

read more

Scan it, Send it, Fax – Rename it

by Emma Weiss Hance Week 1: HumLab, key cards, and ePrime Monday morning, PIRE bags in tow, Beth and I made our way to our new hub at the university to get situated and meet our supervisor, Marianne. Marianne is this fantastically spunky, self-proclaimed "culturally...

read more

Bicycles & Fika

by Elizabeth R Mormer Our first week in Lund has been a blur of complicated vowels, bicycle lanes and adjusting to a more leisurely working pace. On the taxi ride to our home in Lund, I was amazed at the amount of bike stores--there were seemingly hundreds of bikes...

read more