Week 4

This week, Pilar decided that I should share participants with Ben. This meant, that I would have upwards to three participants a day depending on how many participants were scheduled for Ben. Since Ben already had quite a few participants, when they did not how up he...

read more

International Time Travel

There are so many things that I have been able to enjoy while abroad. Practicing my Spanish skills, learning about a different culture, and celebrating another country's holiday are a few examples. Also, being introduced to people as "the Americans" has a nice ring to...

read more

PortAventura World and Miró

The past two weeks have been really great. I've kept a steady yet manageable flow of participants, and I only need 3 more before I hit my minimum of 40. I have 4 more people scheduled this week, but in case two or more don't show up, I have all of next week as buffer...

read more

Week 3

After putting the finishing touches on the verbal fluency task, I tested the entire experiment on one of the professors in the lab to ensure that all the instructions were clear and easy to understand. In addition, I wanted to fix any errors that I missed when I was...

read more

Week 2

After getting into the swing of things, I sat down and began to put the finishing touches on my study. What I was not prepared for was the amount of changes that had to be made. When I arrived here I was already aware that I would have to translate the instructions...

read more

Mid-Trip Retrospective

We've just recently passed the halfway point on our PIRE journey in Tarragona, and since this week was a bit more relaxing, I thought this would be a good time to reflect on the month or so that we've been here. I'm really glad I spent so much time setting up my...

read more

Another week, another set of participants, another city

This week was like 4 days of relaxed testing and coding and then 3 days of that scene at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey when the guy goes through the star gate. I only had 7 participants scheduled for this week because they're having final exams and because we've...

read more

Tarragona: Week 1

Week 1   SInce it was my first time in Tarragona let alone Europe, I was very nervous because I can't speak Spanish. It took me a couple of days to get used to being in an environment where I was not familiar with the language. However, I quickly got over my...

read more

The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain

It's been a week since arriving in Tarragona and I am in love with Spain already. The first day or two were admittedly not wonderful; navigating through airports and bus stations and train stations with a slight lack of sleep left me a tad cranky. But after sleeping...

read more

I’m still too tired to think of a good title

I'm honestly surprised that I made it to Tarragona with all of my bags, most of my money, and some of my energy. We read all about how hard it was to be a sailor in the 1500s and how many people died or got scurvy or went crazy, but after we successfully made it...

read more

Jackie: Adieu, Tarragona – May We Meet Again Soon

I cannot bring myself to wrap my mind around the fact that this is my last PIRE blog entry. I remember stepping out of the taxi and into my new residence. I remember my first time getting lost inside the city. I remember my first time walking around Placa de la Font -...

read more

Jackie: So Many Countries Yet So Little Time

I can officially say I have seen the beauty of both France and Germany!!! The past 2 weeks have been so full of adventure, and I'm sad to say I only have 2 more weeks left of my PIRE trip. Two weeks ago, I spent a weekend in Paris. I saw the Mona Lisa, Luxembourg...

read more

Jackie: Never Leaving Europe. You Can’t Make Me. Nope.

So I've been quite busy since my last post! I'll start with the (somewhat) bad news first, and then move on to the good stuff. Unfortunately, I experienced 3 CANCELLATIONS WITHIN 2 DAYS. C'MON PEOPLE. I was so excited to finally be done recording. My goal was to have...

read more

Jackie: A Packed Week of Participants!

Bon Dia! So I never thought I would EVER be spending so much time in a lab! I've been recording participants every day from about 10 am - 2 pm every day. It feels pretty cool to be able to conduct an experiment all by myself. Anyways, I always manage to find some sort...

read more

Jackie: Barcelona –> Tarragona –> Salou

A lot of things have happened since my last post! I'm currently in the lab waiting for a participant to come in, and she is currently 8 minutes late. So I am assuming she's not coming, but I have some time to waste. My parents and brother actually came to visit me in...

read more

Jackie: My First Weekend Among the Catalonians

So I have not posted in a while, but I honestly had such a lovely weekend here. I met with Marianna last Friday and we toured the Catalunya campus, which is where I will be doing all of the recording. It's definitely not like Penn State in the least bit. It's just a...

read more

Jackie: The amount of times I got lost today…

Have no fear everyone, I'm still alive and well here in Tarragona. The amount of times I got lost today is actually so embarrassing and I would never wish my state of confusion upon anyone! So last night was very chill. I had dinner and talked to a few people who are...

read more

Jackie: I have finally arrived!

Ahhhhhh! I'm actually writing my first blog post and this feels so surreal. I remember submitting my PIRE proposal like it was just yesterday. Well, anyways, my traveling adventures started on Tuesday evening, May 12th, at approximately 6:55 pm. My plane took off just...

read more

I Love Spain

by Rachel Elisabeth Negron The past two weeks I was able to attend two more seminars.  Both were given by partners of the Psychology department here in Tarragona; there were two Galician women, a Portuguese woman and several individuals from Madrid.  I caught the...

read more

No Pasa Nada

by Rachel Elisabeth Negron The weeks go by faster and faster here in Tarragona and I can't believe we only have 2 weeks left! I'm proud to announce we now have a total of 32 participants and have many more signed up to come these next few days.  Everything has been...

read more

I love bocadillos

by Rachel Elisabeth Negron The seminar last week went well.  Kylee and I presented our research proposals and we had the pleasure of hearing Dani's thesis as well.  We also got to hear what other faculty members have been working on throughout the past few weeks. ...

read more

chirp, chirp

by Kylie Jo Louise Cook We are still going through the motions, trying to recruit participants and remind them to come in for their appointment.  Thank god you don't have to pay everytime you send an email!! Together Rachel and I have about 20 right now so we need...

read more

Rain, Rain, Go Away…

by Kylee Jo Louise Cook  Rachel and I are currently in the lab waiting for our participants to come in.   We have been having a hard time with people actually showing up when they say they will.  Most of our appointments have been no shows.  So cross your fingers that...

read more

Where are the Cooking Instructions?!

by Rachel Elisabeth Negron Tomorrow I will present my research proposal in our weekly seminars.  Attached is the PowerPoint it will be based off of.  Thanks for the comment Amelia.  To answer your question, I will be presenting in Spanish though the PowerPoint is in...

read more