The Power of Meditation

Meditation is something that I find extremely useful in my everyday life.  Although I think meditation can be different for each person or even depending on the day, I will try to take you through some of my methods and how they came to be.

Learn how to meditate
How to Meditate

As much as I would like to claim that my ongoing journey to find inner peach was a conscious effort, it really was not.  My ‘meditation’ began as five minutes after a workout at the gym where I listened to music and stretched.  Working out was almost as calming as this post-ritual habit of stretching since it was something I used to clear my mind.  When I was working out, I wasn’t thinking about my personal problems or when my next assignment was due.

LinkedIn does a great job about further investigating this idea in their article ‘The Secret Connection Between Stretching and Meditation.’

Mindful Walking

Then, I found a shift in my meditation process.  Instead of just a five minute stretch, I wanted something more concrete.  Living on a hectic college campus, it’s not exactly easy to escape the anthills full of people.  I turned to mindful walks with my favorite headphones so at least I could feel some sense of privacy.  One of the struggles I ran into was: What exactly do you think about when you meditate? I used to think meditation was a way to work through every single life problem you were facing.  A set time to tackle all anxiety and controversy that was crowding your brain.

A few months ago I had a major shift in my meditation practices.  Instead of viewing it as a time to work through all mental struggles, I started viewing it as a mental cleanse or a moment for pure relaxation.  This is when my processes started to resemble the more classic definition of meditation as can be further investigated on Mindful.com.  They also offer a great beginners guide to meditation along with some of its benefits.

Exploring the Arboretum at Penn State
The Arboretum at Penn State offers great meditation spots during the warmer seasons

I began to focus more on my body’s current existence and breathing.  I was aware of my surroundings but not in a way that could bother me.  I enjoy feeling my presence without the nagging of other stressors.

Now, I would say that my meditation journey is far from final.  I have found plenty of ‘zen spots’ around campus as I’ve become more comfortable with staying in once place and ignoring the environment around me.  Now, I am working on staying focused for more time and making sure I try to do it everyday.  It’s easy to let daily life take over and overcrowd our brain, but this is a practice that can be individualized and done by anyone at almost any time.  I hope this post shows that meditation doesn’t have to be the same concrete ritual for each person and should be viewed as a journey rather than a destination.

For more information on the overall usage of meditation and some simple steps on how to get started I recommend checking on our folks over at self.com where they offer all sorts of information on mental fitness and mindfulness.  Happy meditating!