On Appearance (Passion Post 2)

I like to walk in the rain sometimes. It helps me to clear my head.

I want you to imagine for a minute. It’s a cool, dreary day- the sort of day when you want to lay around and nap. Stifling a yawn, you gaze out the window and note that it’s raining pretty steadily. As your imagination leaps into the puddles, your eyes graze over the drenched patio furniture. They glare at the overcast skies, and, very suddenly, stumble upon a girl trotting by. She’s soaked to the skin.

What is the first thing you think of?

The general auto-assumption would probably be that she is depressed. She is upset. There is something seriously wrong. You may feel apprehensive, slightly concerned.

“Why walk in the rain? I certainly hope she’s alright.”

Now, think again. Could it just be that, like me, she enjoys hearing the pitter-patter of the rain drops? That she adores seeing nature in all its many forms of majesty? Her life isn’t falling apart, she just wanted a whiff of that fresh, stormy air. There’s nothing wrong with that, is there?

So many times in life, we perceive things completely wrong. We don’t mean to most of the time, it just sort of happens. We look at someone, our brain spits out a label, and it smacks itself onto their forehead. It happens without thought… it’s almost second-nature.

Here enters one of humanity’s greatest downfalls: judgment- loosely based upon past experience, stereotypes, and prejudice- according to appearance.

Yeah, yeah. We’ve all heard this one before. “Never judge a book by its cover.” But have we actually taken a moment to realize its significance and what it truly means? Do we understand the gravity of the statement, or the things that might occur if we actually were to adhere to its charge?

I’ll give you an example.

Two years ago, I met a boy at my job. This guy, at first glance, was literally the absolute perfect definition of a huge nerd. Curly hair, big glasses, super tall, lanky, a goofy smile, AND socially awkward.

Boom! The label was already in place. I had him all figured out.

As time went on, however, I had opportunity to get to know the boy well. Not only was he the exact opposite of everything I had perceived him to be, but he was also one of the most interesting people I have ever met. He exposed me to new music and culture- a whole other means of thinking. He demonstrated inspirational strength and courage, living through immense hardship and strife. He was there for me in some of the most difficult times of my life.

This kid – who I had initially written off as insignificant – ultimately changed my perspective on people as a whole. I literally would not be half the person I am today if I had simply stopped at the stereotype. I would’ve missed so, so much.
My goal for you today is to challenge the way that you initially perceive people. Never just assume that someone is a certain way because they’re wearing a plaid shirt, or high heels, or because they have tattoos on their arms and neck.

If you assume you know it all already, you’ll really be missing it all.

You won’t know the story behind that flannel from grandpa’s rebel days. She’ll never tell you how her heels inexplicably saved her sister’s life. You’ll go your whole life without knowing the ultimate tale of why that person got those lines etched into their skin forever.

You never know how their stories may touch you.

Every single decision you make, no matter how unimportant it may seem, has a direct impact on your future. Judgment is one of these decisions, as well as the impact that this post has on you. But only you can make the call, so choose wisely.

If nothing else, just try to remember to give me the benefit of the doubt the next time you see me walking in the rain.

Signing off for now,

-P (:

This entry was posted in Passion. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to On Appearance (Passion Post 2)

1. Merely a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding design.

2. Daniela Chavez Velez says:

Besides the fact that I love your writing, I think this post is the truest of truths. I totally understand and relate, and even makes me realize how much power this issues has over my life.We shouldn’t judge, we shouldn’t label and we shouldn’t criticize, but it wan be very hard sometimes. I can tell you that for me, things so simple as the type of blouse I’m wearing to a party can be influenced on the fear I have of being wrongly judged. We always want to show ourselves in the best ways possible, and that can become something extremely annoying and time consumin. I know this souds cliche but it is also something really hard to correct or avoid cause judgement is burried so deep into our primal instincts that it takes a lot of time to avoid it. It is also truth that first impressions are way overrated, but that ultimately unique because you won’t get a second first impression, so that’s another reason to be weary about appearances, but like you Polly, I think we should give it a try. Never know if the love of your life is hiding behind a really unexpected appearance. 🙂

3. Carissa says:

Such good reminders. It is so hard not to judge by appearance because you think “Well they chose to look that way for a reason. They must be aware of the stereotype they fit.” But you’re right: they did choose to look that way and that look has a story behind it, not a stereotype. And that girl walking in the rain? Maybe it was an accident that will remain a memory for years to come. That was my experience. On my last day of NSO, I got soaked to. the. skin. walking from Henderson to the Hub after scheduling my classes. I’ll look back on that with fond memories and I don’t care if I looked like a foolish soon-to-be freshman 🙂