TED Talk Reflection (RCL React 8)

Making a TED talk of my own really impacted me in a pretty big way. I definitely have a newfound respect for those able to perform in any form of improvisational way… specifically directing this admiration toward those who perform these talks.

Those in the TED style genre perform in front of a massive audience of people, with a comfortable posture and speaking style. They are engaging, professional, on point in every way. And it really isn’t until you make an attempt at recapturing this that you truly acknowledge what a feat that really is!

I performed my talk in front of an audience of about 5 peers and Ms. Patia, but only after I had worded and reworded, practiced and paced. And in spite of all this, it was still very challenging. I still became flustered; I lost that format I had tried so desperately to recall, continually getting nervous and losing my place. This isn’t to say that my talk was a total bust! I’m actually quite proud of myself for speaking in front of an audience and performing a rehearsed speech, in spite of its many flaws.

I had really wanted to nail this talk to honor my brother. He was very passionate about public speaking, being in the public eye, and making a good impression. Though I feel I definitely stumbled in many areas, I know I tried my best, and that he’s very proud of me. This experience and my mistakes has instilled in me a true desire to overcome my public speaking difficulties completely, and become much better at performance as a whole.

Overall, it was a truly enriching experience. If I could change one thing, I would probably add teleprompters into the mix, and make sure I was actually familiar with powerpoint so I could actually control my slide! I just need to gain more confidence and put my message out there.

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to TED Talk Reflection (RCL React 8)

1. tech website says:

I don’t commonly comment but I gotta admit thanks for the post on this great one : D.

2. android blog says:

The crux of your writing while appearing agreeable at first, did not really work properly with me after some time. Somewhere within the sentences you managed to make me a believer unfortunately only for a while. I still have got a problem with your jumps in assumptions and one would do nicely to help fill in those gaps. When you can accomplish that, I would definitely be fascinated.

3. Werner says:

Did the Jonathan Ames letter come yet? I signed up in January and i seriously really hope I didn’t skip it. Is there a way I can go through it if it did already come?

4. Carissa says:

A true and honest reflection, and I feel much the same way! Speaking without notes is so hard even with lots of preparation. Good job for using the challenges of the genre to continue your growth in public speaking! Trying your best is what matters and you will only improve with time and practice. I wish I could have heard yours and seen how your paradigm shift topic turned out. It sounded really interesting from your proposal post! Great job and congrats on getting it done successfully!