This I believe…

When you close your eyes, what is it that you see? Are there vast, expanding emerald plains, sprouting with thick, flourishing trees? Does each branch pour hundreds of peachy blossoms, navy vines, or curious creatures looming in the shadows? These are all things I believe in, but above all, I believe in what they stem from: a powerful imagination.

When I was growing up, I didn’t go to a local public school like every other kid. My school was small and private, with people from lots of different districts busing a far way to and from. The school was far from my house, which made my friends even farther. And in spite of having five older siblings, I spent a lot of time by myself. Alone.

But I wasn’t alone, not really! Because I held the greatest power known to man in my grasp – the ability to think and create in my mind; access to an ever-extending world of fantasy through which I could willingly frolic whenever I pleased. Always a brand new adventure bubbling forward! It kept me happy, ever-thinking, ever-dreaming.

Reading was always a favorite pastime. The characters weren’t just words in a book – they were alive and breathing, hurting and triumphing just as you or I. They were my good friends for whom I could always feel, and on whom I could depend. I would read book after book, series after series, freely allowing my mind to unlock the door to this enchanted realm and bask in its unwonted beauty.
And imagination didn’t stop there! It would spill forth on paper, through artwork and written works of my own. Captivated, I would sit for hours at a time on a single project, ethereal images and ideas exploding forth, blossoming like flowers kissed by the warm dew in spring.

But imagination is so much more than just a companion to a lonely little girl. It has brought me life and hope in the dullest of situations. It allows me to peep around the obstacles that trip up most of the world, enabling me to see glimmering, hidden magic and hope. It is also a source of comfort and solace; it’s a place to which one can retreat when the world just won’t let up. Where dreams are reality, where anything goes – my own slice of heaven tucked neatly in my head.

Imagination has and always will be the greatest of all my friends. Dreaming of things unforeseen, thinking of the impractical and impossible. In this realm, there is no judgment, no right and no wrong. It is simply me and a blank canvas, a spread of bright paints at my feet. And though our relationship has dwindled as I have aged, I always treasure and cling to the moments of peace when a visit to this realm can be paid. When I can again walk the mossy, earthen paths of my youth, laugh with the gurgling, crystal clear river; dance with the men dressed in dapper suits, who choose to remain barefoot in spite of themselves.

I believe in fantasy. Imagination is life. It has shaped me into the person I am today, and without it, I would be nothing.

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to This I believe…

1. Hi , I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbled upon it on Yahoo , i will come back once again. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and help other people.

2. Gabrielle Faith Romeo says:

You can tell just by reading this post how good of an imagination you have! This is very well written. I love how you start off the post by describing a scene. I didn’t know immediately where you were going, but it was cool to see how it tied in with your topic. It’s awesome how much this has shaped your life and who you are!

3. Maggie O'brien says:

Your speech sounds great! There are a few things that I have noticed, however. Some of your sentences in the beginning are a little awkward, in the sense that they don’t read as well as they could. The sentence “My school was small and private, with people from lots of different districts busing a far way to and from” could be reworded so that it flows a little better. Overall, your speech reads well. The word choice and imagery used is also very nicely done, and should be great to listen to in a speech.

4. Alicia Marie Van Den Heede says:

I think this is a great topic, as a lot of people forget the importance of imagination as they get older. In terms of critique, I would say that perhaps in the section where you are saying that you spend a lot of time alone, you should tie in right there how this led you to utilize your imagination or how this led you to spend much of your time reading. This might help you flow better, and keep the topic focused, so the reader (or listener when it is recorded) is not confused about where things are going or what you’re trying to say. Otherwise, I really like the idea, and I think your personal connection with it stands out well, which is a huge part of this whole assignment. I like the way you made it feel inspiring, and how you painted such a vivid picture throughout the entire thing. Rock on, fair maiden!

5. Ross Anthony Maietta says:

Polly, I am someone who is a fan of self-sufficiency. I take pride in being able to rely on myself for things that most people get from others. I am not an introverted, but I appreciate the gift of being alone. The imagination is wonderful and sparks some of the most miraculous things in this world. Imagine on.

6. Francesca Marie Pagnotta says:

Wow, this was great and so descriptive. You’re a great writer and I can tell all the reading you do not only is one of your favorite things, but it is more something that makes you who you are. Your reading enhances your imagination and you incorporate that really well in this piece.