Hand Crafted! (Passion Post 16)

So, here we are again. Another chapter of our handy adventure, where we explore the truly awesome and wonderful nature of the hands and all that they can do! This week, I’d like to focus on the role that hands play in a specifically awesome artistic feat. This is sadly not something I myself have experienced as of yet, but I know a few people who have (and have gotten quite good at it!) and it became quite a favourite pastime of theirs.

And so, here the natural portion I always include to build up suspense! Try your hand at guessing. (haw haw)

It is an art form, but one that you really cannot do without your hands. (Though you should never say never, and I’m sure there is definitely some way!) It is entirely hands on, and requires great skill and precision.

Has my incredibly vague description lended you any clues yet? If not, that’s alright!

I’m talking about clay molding!

The molding and baking of pottery has been going on for centuries. Historians believe that some pottery can be traced to existence from nearly 5500 BC! Earthenware has been used for the longest of times for decoration and function alike, from potting plants to gathering water to drink.

Some rad ancient pottery

There are quite a few different ways to do clay molding, from intricate and delicate works done solely with one’s hands, to works carefully molded on a potter’s wheel. Most early pottery was done by hand and left without a sealing glaze, until the invention of the potter’s wheel about 8,000 years ago.

Clay can be craftily molded into various forms, shapes, and sizes, and can be used for a wide variety of purposes. For instance, a person can mold and paint beads for jewelry out of clay; a vase can be carefully manipulated into shape on a wheel. And of course, there are many different kinds of clay that can be used.

Once a person has successfully molded their clay with their hands, whether it be free-form or on a wheel, they then must fire and bake their piece inside of a kiln. A kiln, as most of us probably know, is a special type of furnace that is used specifically to blast and cook clay pieces of pottery. There are many different types of kilns that are suitable, again, depending on the type of clay and sculpture a person makes.

After you’re all finished with baking, it’s time to glaze that baby! Glazing a piece serves the purposes of coloring, decorating, or sealing and waterproofing your artwork. (It also makes it nice and shiny, which I absolutely adore) The glaze then must be reheated in the kiln at a very low temperature to help it to set.

All hail the glaze!

All in all, pottery and ceramics are a very versatile, interesting, and beautiful art form that require quite a bit of handiwork. With enough practice and precision, a person can make truly amazing and beautiful pieces, from vases and jugs, to mugs, plates, bowls, and even little intricate pieces in the shape of animals and humans.

Again I say it! Love your hands, everyone! And maybe pick up pottery as a side hobby 😉

This entry was posted in Passion. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Hand Crafted! (Passion Post 16)

1. Hiya very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?KI am glad to seek out numerous useful info right here in the post, we want work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .