Extra-Credit Deliberation Post (RCL Bonus 3)

The extra credit deliberation that I attended was titled Fifty Shades of Consent and regarded different methods of sexual assault prevention at Penn State. Their different approaches included increasing the number of blue lights on campus (or entirely revamping the system), increasing the number of police officers present on campus, or requiring some sort of a mandatory class giving information on true consent, different ways of reaching help when in a dangerous situation, as well as what sexual assault really is.

I feel as if I was in a rather privileged and informed position as I sat in on this deliberation, as the mandatory one that I attended covered the very same topic and suggested many of the same approaches. However, in spite of the fact that I held this sort of advantage over the subject matter, I still feel now as if neither of these deliberations really solved much of anything.

It was definitely very refreshing to hear so many interested and engaged voices discussing this issue, as it is horrifically prevalent on college campuses and in everyday life throughout the entire world. But all of the proposed ideas were equally bogged down with negatives, and a lot of the audience didn’t feel comfortable enough to get involved and heatedly discuss the issue.

The most that was achieved here was related to the sexual assault information given at new student orientation, as well as online in mandatory modules. I know personally, these modules were very aggravating to me, and the segment at orientation was treated as a sort of joke or irritant to our leaders. I was not very surprised to hear that many of the other students felt the same way. One of the audience members present was a faculty member with a direct connection to the online AWARE and SAFE modules run through Penn State. After she heard the rest of the group tear these methods of teaching apart, she said that she would be sure to make a note of it and bring it to the attention of the rest of her board. Which was awesome!

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Extra-Credit Deliberation Post (RCL Bonus 3)

1. It is really a great and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.