“Where Dwell the Brave at Heart”

Godric – Means “power of god.” Derived from the Old English “god” combined with “ric,” meaning “power” and “rule.” Name became conmmonly used after the Norman conquest. – Godric of Finchale is an Anglo-Saxon saint.

Gryffindor – A “griffin” was “a creature in mythology with the body of a lion and the head of an eagle.” Also known in Greek Mythology as the “gryphon,” it was the protector of a god’s gold from mortal men. In Greek, “gryphon” means “protector of wealth.” In French “d’or” means “of gold,” one of the Gryffindor House colors. The gryffin is fitting, considering lions are characterized as brave and courageous and eagles are desrcibed as being noble birds, all traits of the Gryffindor House.

I’ve always loved the four houses of Hogwarts. Before Pottermore, if I ever sorted myself into a house, I never really cared which one it was. Then, because I’m a Ravenclaw, I must be true to my house. I think part of me loved it because of me and my sisters. Bekah was Slytherin because she was always kind of cunning and sarcastic. Stef was Gryffindor, always fighting for what she believed in. Jess was Ravenclaw because she was so smart. And I was in Hufflepuff because I never felt like I fit into any of the other houses.

As always, the name is so cool. “Power of god,” you say? Interesting that the Chosen One was in that house. Also, if there were a hierarchy at Hogwarts, I feel like Gryffindors would be the top, with Slytherins close behind… The lion is obviously important. Lions are very proud obviously, and so are most Gryffindors. Also, lions live in groups called prides. Just saying. Eagles represent strength and courage. Again, obviously very important to the Gryffindors.

Is it just me or does he look rather lion-like here?

I really wish we knew more about each of the founders. I know that the traits that are valued within the houses are traits that the founders possessed, but how cool would it be if Jo wrote a story about the founding of Hogwarts? Like where the name came from, how they made the sorting hat, etc. etc. It would be epic. Also, there definitely should be more information about them on Pottermore.

I think the interesting thing about the founders is that each and every one of them has qualities that should be valued in a person. Sometimes I hate that there are houses, now that I sit here and think about it. I feel like it kind of promotes segregation. In the Great Hall, you sit with your house. You live with your house. You go to class with your house. I never felt like there was much of a chance to really bond with those people outside of their houses. For example, in Chamber of Secrets when everyone thinks Harry is the heir of Slytherin, the Hufflepuffs wouldn’t have been worried about Justin Finch-Fletchley getting petrifyied because they would have known that Harry would never do stuff like that to him. (Obviously, Harry’s ability to speak Parseltounge doesn’t help him here, but it’s all Voldemort’s fault, really.)

One thing I found really interesting is that Gryffindor was a supporter of letting Muggle-borns into Hogwarts. I’m not sure why, but I always felt like Gryffindor was a bit of a jerk, but needed that to be able to first be friends with Slytherin and then turn him away like that. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me.

250px-Wallofportraits

Here’s a list of Gryffindors for your enjoyment!

A bit more information about Gryffindor himself here!

The Sorting Hat’s description of Gryffindor:

You might belong in Gryffindor
Where dwell the brave at heart;
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

3 thoughts on ““Where Dwell the Brave at Heart”

1. I am always astounded by the thought and research that JK but into the most minute details of the stories. I think you raise an interesting point about the four houses. While they did segregate the students and ultimately limit cross-house friendships, I think they also created such great conflict and rivalry. I, myself, am a Gryffindor so I loved reading this post!

2. I’ve always wondered if one house has more students than the others. I mean Gryffindor, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw generally seem to have pretty specific characteristics attached to them, while Hufflepuff seems to be more of “everybody else.” So wouldn’t Hufflepuff be the largest? And being the largest, I feel like it would dominate in the House Cup every year because it has more students and therefore more opportunities to earn house points.

3. Your description of Gryffindor reminds me of what Harry saw of James while he was in Snape’s memory. Proud, talented, but could be a jerk at times. It kind of fits a lot of the Gryffindors, like Seamus and Ron too. It really wouldn’t make sense for them to all be such saints; they’re people. If Gryffindor let muggle-borns in though, that’s part of his good qualities 🙂