“Where Those of Wit and Learning Will Always Find Their Kind”

Rowena – “Rowena” is Old English for “red hair,” which ties in with Jo’s fascination for those with red hair. It means “rugged” in Gaelic. In Welsh poetry, Rowena is named “mother of the nation,” which could link in to her being a founder of Hogwarts. She also is another character whose name surfaces in the great epic Ivanhoe.

Ravenclaw – Ravens are known to be smart birds. Makes sense that Ravenclaws are known as wise, quick learners.

YAY RAVENCLAW! Haha, I think it’s really pretty cool that we get a little bit of insight into Rowena’s life through her daughter Helena (aka the Grey Lady). Also, I obviously like her because she founded my house. (Plus, Luna’s in Ravenclaw, and I love Luna and pretty much everything associated with her.)

Jo’s fascination for red hair – this just makes me giggle. I love the Weasley family. I think it’s cool that Rowena means “mother of the nation,” maybe giving us more of an insight to the founders. Maybe Rowena was the most motherly out of the four of them, always looking out. I think it’s pretty cool that she’s so dang smart and yet still has that motherly air about her. Ravens are intimidating, but intelligent so I think that echoes that Ravenclaws should have a presence with their knowledge.

250px-Rowena_Ravenclaw_WWHP

Obviously, Ravenclaw’s most important value was intelligence. I always found it really weird that Hermione wasn’t in Ravenclaw. I wonder if she had a situation like Harry and she asked to be put in Gryffindor? But that wouldn’t really make sense because she always values knowledge. Actually, after being un-petrified in Chamber of Secrets, she’s upset that finals were cancelled. I also believe that Ron and Harry joke about her not being able to study. Hermione always just seemed to embody all that was Ravenclaw, but I guess for the sake of the story, Hermione couldn’t have been in Ravenclaw because then they would never have been around each other.

If I remember correctly, Rowena was upset with Helena for stealing the diadem (she died of a broken heart), and sent the Bloody Baron after her (so she could see her daughter once more before dying) (who ended up killing Helena, then himself because of the guilt because he loved her). What a mess…anyway, I think it’s pretty cool that a different founder (besides Slytherin) was sort of portrayed as not as wonderful as everyone thought. Obviously, it has to be taken into consideration that it was coming from her bitter daughter and Helena was bitter about everyone. Also, boo Helena for going to Albania (where of course none other than Lord Voldemort also goes in hiding – jk it’s not a coincidence) and leaving the diadem there!

Ravenclaw is my favorite common room, even though we only get a brief description, but mostly I love how you enter the common room. I think it’s so cool that you have to answer a riddle, though I feel like it would get annoying when you just want to get into your room or are trying to get away from someone. But it was so perfect when the Carrow sibling was trying to get in there while yelling at the knocker. So funny. I also think it’s cool that Ravenclaw Tower isn’t really hidden like the others. I don’t think a giant eagle-shaped bronze knocker is really secretive…but Slytherin is a certain part of the wall, Gryffindor is behind the Fat Lady’s portrait, and Hufflepuff is in a nook, behind barrels, and in the basement.Ravenclaw_with_wand

“Another cool thing about Ravenclaw is that our people are the most individual – some might even call them eccentrics. But geniuses are often out of step with ordinary folk, and unlike some other houses we could mention, we think you’ve got the right to wear what you like, believe what you want, and say what you feel. We aren’t put off by people who march to a different tune; on the contrary, we value them!”

This is from my welcome message on Pottermore from prefect Robert Hilliard, but I think that this is wrong. At least, for Luna’s case. Luna gets picked on and her stuff goes missing all the time, and the only people with access to her stuff are the other Ravenclaws which makes me sad. If your own house can’t accept you, that’s not fair.

Here’s a list of fun facts about Ravenclaw – the house and the founder!

(also this really awesome livejournal all about how awesome Ravenclaw is)

This seriously needs to happen!

This seriously needs to happen! (but I really want a story about all of them!)

Also, why is the symbol an eagle?

The Sorting Hat’s words about Ravenclaws:

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw
If you’ve a ready mind;
Where those of wit and learning
Will always find their kind;

3 thoughts on ““Where Those of Wit and Learning Will Always Find Their Kind”

1. I never really considered the founders all that much, but I absolutely love that you have put so much thought and effort into figuring them out. It is really cool to see the traits of Rowana and how they relate to those who are in her house, as I definitely see Luna as the quirky genius (an understatement on the quirky part).

2. I don’t really see Hermione as the eccentric genius (as opposed to Luna who totally fits that description), and I think the Sorting Hat saw the bravery that she exhibits later on in the books and put her in Gryffindor because of it.

On an unrelated note, if you haven’t watched the new Very Potter Musical you totally should, it’s excellent (though also a little depressing).

3. Hermione’s too brave in all the crazy situations they get into to be a Ravenclaw. That said, Professor McGonnagal (however you spell it) could get into the common room, and Snape ended up being super brave, so maybe the Sorting Hat has some kind of clairvoyance and can see where you need to be to accomplish your life’s purpose. . . I wish we knew more about the founders of Hogwarts; learning about the backstory between all the old characters would be so fascinating. Maybe we’d learn why nearly headless Nick dies too 🙂