Nichole Sell received her B.A. in psychology in 2006 from Cedar Crest College in Allentown, Pennsylvania; her M.Ed. in counseling and human services in 2008 from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; and her M.S. in Biobehavioral Health in 2016 from Penn State. She is currently a doctoral student and graduate lecturer in the department of Biobehavioral Health at Penn State. She is interested in understanding barriers to consistent and quality protective behavioral strategy use in heavy drinking college students and the conditions under which protective behavioral strategies work most effectively in preventing adverse alcohol-related consequences.
- 2017-2019, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIH/NIAAA) NRSA F31AA025828, The Pennsylvania State University, An In-Depth Examination of Protective Behavioral Strategies to Reduce Alcohol-Related Consequences (Principal Investigator).
- 2016, 2017, Graduate Student Teaching Award, Department of Biobehavioral Health, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2016, 2017, Hintz Graduate Education Enhancement Fellowship Award, Department of Biobehavioral Health, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2015-2018, Research Society on Alcoholism Student Merit Award
- 2015, Society for Prevention Research Early Career Preventionists Network Travel Award
- 2013, Excellence in Graduate Recruitment Award, Department of Biobehavioral Health, The Pennsylvania State University
Sell, N. M., Turrisi, R., Scaglione, N. M., Cleveland, M. J., & Mallett, K. A. (2018). Alcohol consumption and use of sexual assault and drinking protective behavioral strategies: A diary study. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 42(1), 62-71. PMCID: PMC5993446 [PubMed]
Sell, N. M., Turrisi, R., Scaglione, N. M., Hultgren, B. A., & Mallett, K. A. (2016). Examining the effects of drinking and interpersonal protective behaviors on unwanted sexual experiences in college women. Addictive Behaviors, 54, 40-45. PMCID: PMC4713305 [PubMed]
Sell, N., Turrisi, R., Trager, B., Reavy, R., Mallett, K., & Hultgren, B. (2018, April). Explaining college students’ use of protective behavioral strategies: The roles of protective parenting and drinking. Poster presented at the 3rd Annual Founder’s Endowment for Excellence and Innovation Research Day, University Park, PA.
Sell, N., Trager, B., Turrisi, R., Hultgren, B., & Ghallon, D. (2017, June). A longitudinal examination of the effects of parenting and peer norms on protective behavioral strategies use in second-year college students. Poster presented at the 40th Annual Meeting of the Research Society on Alcoholism, Denver, CO.