Dr. Rob Turrisi is currently a professor at Penn State University with a joint appointment in the Department of Biobehavioral Health and the Prevention Research Center. Dr. Turrisi received his Ph.D. in social psychology (with an emphasis in decision making and quantitative methods) in 1988 from the University at Albany, State University of New York. His research examines the psychological theories of behavioral decision-making and how these relate to: 1) adolescent and young adult health, 2) family relationships, and 3) efficacious brief interventions to prevent high-risk behaviors.
- 2015, The Pennsylvania State University Faculty Scholar Medal for Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 2012, The Society for Prevention Research, The Prevention Science Award
- 2012, The Ralph Hingson Prevention Scientist Researcher of the Year Award, MADD
- 2009, The Pennsylvania State University Evan G. and Helen G. Pattishall Outstanding Research Achievement Award for the College of Health and Human Development
- 2001-2002, Boise State University Foundation Scholars Award for Research/Creative Activity “University Researcher of the Year”
Turrisi, R., Hultgren, B., Mallett, K. A., Martini, M., & Robinson, J. K. (2015). Comparison of efficacy of differing partner-assisted skin examination interventions for melanoma patients: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Dermatology, 151(9), 945-951. PMCID: PMC4565771 [PubMed]
Turrisi, R., Mallett, K. A., Cleveland, M. J., Varvil-Weld, L., Abar, C., Scaglione, N., & Hultgren, B. (2013). Evaluation of timing and dosage of a parent-based intervention to minimize college students’ alcohol consumption. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 74(1), 30-40. PMCID: PMC3517262 [PubMed]
Turrisi, R., Mallett, K., Varvil-Weld, L., & Guttman, K. (2013). Examining the role of parents in college student alcohol etiology and prevention. In: Interventions for addiction: Comprehensive addictive behaviors and disorders. Elsevier Inc., San Diego: Academic Press, pp. 865–873.
Turrisi, R., Gunn, H., Hultgren B. A., Warner, N. & Mallet, K. A. (2012). The style project: feasibility of collaborating with salons for prevention and early detection of skin cancer. Archives of Dermatology, 148, 1206-1207. PMCID: PMC3883623 [PubMed]