A Wonderful Day for an Exorcism

The mere thought of this film makes me shudder and although I wouldn’t say it was the scariest movie I’ve ever seen, it is definitely the most spine-chilling. Released in 1973, The Exorcist will forever be known as an oldie but a goodie.

A Brief Synopsis

Directed by William Friedkin, The Exorcist seeks to confront the reality of human suffering in a cinematic experience for viewers. The most harrowing part about this film, though, is the fact that a little girl is quite literally put through Hell in the process of a demonic possession.

Official Film Poster

The film begins with an introduction of an elderly priest named Lankester Merrin, as he is just concluding an archeological excavation in northern Iraq when he receives a hair-raising premonition.

Paradoxically, actress Chris MacNeil lives temporarily in Georgetown with her daughter Regan, alongside her housekeepers, Willie and Karl, an elderly Swiss couple. Hearing strange sounds emerging from Regan’s bedroom, and noticing furniture begins to move suspiciously around the house, she is perplexed.

Actress Chris MacNeil, Regan’s Mother

It is when Chris discovers a Ouija board, with which her daughter was playing, that she becomes immediately distressed. Soon after, Regan becomes angry and fidgety for she is beginning to change into someone that Chris does not recognize. Dr. Klein is called to the rescue when Chris seeks medical help; however, Regan’s issues seem to protrude the doctor’s area of expertise. And so, he recommends further tests, leaving Regan’s mother even more agitated.

Unable to explain the series of strange occurrences that have happened around her house, and realizing several of her business investments have gone awry, Chris resorts to speaking with Father Karras, a psychiatrist and Jesuit priest. As Regan begins to swear, spit and immediately forgets any abnormal thing she does, a team of men investigate this poor child’s disorder.

Dr. Klein induces Regan to a state of hypnosis, where the demon inside her claims to have ill wishes for the host’s (Regan’s) body. Desperate to save her daughter, Chris and the doctors agree to send Regan to a clinic in Dayton.

In a seemingly unforeseen turn of events, Burke Dennings, the director of Chris’s current acting project, is found under Regan’s window, deceased. The way in which Burke’s neck was twisted so violently leads the doctors to suggest a more permanent facility for the treatment of the child.

Chris and Regan return back home, in part to determine what to do next. Becoming increasingly more desperate, Chris now believes an exorcism may be the only solution, hence the title of the film. Father Karras is not as easily convinced, as he warns of the large amount of evidence needed for the Catholic church to conduct an exorcism.

The Possessed Child

However, when Karras sees Regan’s actions first-hand, his mind is changed and he reaches out to another priest, Father Merrin, who is more advanced in years and experience, for he has conducted the ritual before.

The End

As Merrin arrives, the exorcist himself, the ritual immediately begins. The audience is shocked when the demon recognizes Father Merrin’s face, for he battled the same entity, once before, during his archeological excavation in Iraq.

On the verge of death, Regan’s body is racked with torment as Father Karras and Father Mirren battle the demon for many sleepless days and nights. On one of the last days, Karras discovers Mirren dead and then proceeds to challenge the demon to possess him instead.

In a very uplifting end (not), Karras also perishes whilst attempting to free Regan of her demon. Although, Regan is finally free, as she and her mother decide to move back to Los Angeles. Happily ever after, the end.

My Thoughts

I watched this film with my family, for once my parents discovered I loved horror movies, they were relentless in getting me to watch the “classic” films, which in this instance consisted of 1970s cinematography. Although crude and very graphic at times, in the end, I loved the film because it was the perfect mix of crazy, absurd, and horrific. I recommend to any and all for a great Halloween scare!

3 Thoughts.

1. I watched this movie for the first time this past summer and loved it! Similar to you, my dad insisted that my sisters and I see it because it was one of the classic “horror” movies. I remember being shocked at how inappropriate it was because I always had this assumption that older movies wouldn’t include obviously crude material. Overall, I think its a weird, but enjoyable, film!

2. I love your descriptions and this has made me really want to try watching it. For some reason I’ve been resistant to try it, but I think it’s important to watch classic movies like this one! I always think it’s interesting how in movie exorcisms the priest always needs permission to perform an exorcism despite the fact that you would think it would always be necessary.

3. I never watched the exorcist and never will. I truly believe in the Exorcist curse I think it is strange how something absolutely terrible about to every actor that has acted in the movie. I am happy your review finally gave me incite.