Is She Crazy or Just Insane?

The spring semester is here already? To think, just a few days ago, I was sleeping in until 11, enjoying far too many desserts made by my mom, and having at least two Harry Potter movie marathons per week. Though, I guess it is time to get back to work!

While browsing through the horror movie section of Netflix one day, Gothika was the first film to appear, a 2003 thriller starring Halle Berry, Penelope Cruz and Robert Downey Jr. Of course, I chose to keep the same blog topic for the spring semester – watching and writing about horror movies is just too exciting!

Official Movie Poster

A Brief Synopsis

Although Gothika wasn’t as frightening as the films I’ve reviewed in the past, it was a worthwhile psychological thriller. Dr. Miranda Grey, portrayed by Halle Berry, is a psychiatrist who works in the mental institution sector of a penitentiary alongside Pete Graham (Robert Downey Jr.). The film opens with Dr. Grey interviewing one of her patients, Chloe Sava, played by Penelope Cruz, who was formerly abused by her stepfather. Sava claims that the devil visits her each night in her cell, but Dr. Grey, of course, is reluctant to believe her.

It is until she experiences an encounter of supernatural proportions that her beliefs begin to change. After leaving the mental institution one stormy night, she nearly hits a girl with her car. Terrified and shaken, she gets out of her car, into the pouring rain, to ensure the child is okay. Crying profusely, the girl appears deranged. The scene soon ends when the girl grabs Dr. Grey as they both are enveloped by a fiery mass.

Some time after, Dr. Grey awakens in the mental institution in which she worked, disoriented and extremely confused. She is accused of killing her own husband, but has no memory of anything after the run-in with the girl in the street. The audience is led to wonder if she is framed for her husband’s murder, or is someone in the institution is playing an absurd trick on her. However, to uncover this mystery, she must first escape the asylum. And, now that she’s considered one of the insane inmates, she enlists the help of her former patient, Chloe.

Without giving too much away, I will say that while Gothika does not make much sense, it does keep the viewer’s attention, which is all we can really ask for in the end. The film is a psychothriller that follows one woman’s journey into insanity, spiraling in and out of control as the storyline progresses.

My Thoughts

Yes, this movie is not the best horror film I’ve seen but, with actors like Halle Berry, Penelope Cruz, and Robert Downey Jr., even a rough plot can be enhanced. I recommend Gothika as a film to watch if you’re into deciphering hidden clues and predicting how a story so twisted could ever end.

2 Thoughts.

1. I love Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz! In general, I’m not big on scary movies although for some reason I absolutely love psychological thrillers. I’ve seen some very good ones but also some very strange ones. For example, The Killing of the Sacred Deer, with Nicole Kidman was just weird; I didn’t understand it at all. I’m not sure if you’ve seen it but it might be right down your alley! Gothika might resemble it a little bit because it definitely keeps your attention as well!

2. I am not one for horror movies, but I really enjoy mysteries. Personally, I like listening to murder mysteries. While it was nothing at all close to a horror movie, Knives Out was one of my favorite movies because I was trying to put all of the pieces together the whole time. I have a hard time paying attention to movies and shows most of the time so I like a good mystery to keep me focused! I might have to to try to watch this one since it has a great cast too.

I look forward to reading about your horror movie experiences throughout this semester and maybe I’ll find some new favorite movies!