Dear LEAP Freshmen 2016:

Dear LEAP Freshman 2016,

If you’re anything like I was in the beginning of summer of 2015, you’re probably dreading spending the next 6 weeks of your life taking classes away from family/friends. “Why would I want to leave my home after a memorable senior year of high school to have an awful summer full of adjustments and academics” were exact thoughts that I had every day up until move in day. Well, let me tell you something. Feeling nervous, anxious or even scared for the future is completely normal. Little do you know at this point in time that the summer session at Penn State will be one of your best summer experiences of your life.

Spending the majority of my summer in Happy Valley was something I will never forget. The adjustment from High School to college life was certainly a process that did not happen overnight, but youll become more comfortable with yourself and your surroundings in preparation for the fall. Ill place a bet right now that you will become much more independent and organized while you spend your time in State College.

IMG_6041-580x435

As a member of LEAP, you will make memories to last a lifetime. Although my summer flew by faster than I could have ever imagined, I still had a ton of fun being a college student. With your LEAP, youll get to take part in sketchy laser tag, trips to Beaver Stadium, trips to the creamery, and gatherings/study sessions with the other 24 members of your “pride”. With the way this program is set up, making friends is much easier. The plus side of only taking two classes is the amount of free time you get to choose how to spend. Events such as the 3v3 basketball tournament are set up during the afternoon hours, and I highly encourage you to get involved while you spend your time here.

Take a deep breath, relax, and in a short matter of time, you will be very glad that you decided to spend your summer at the greatest place on earth: Happy Valley. Good luck class of 2020! WE ARE

One thought on “Dear LEAP Freshmen 2016:

1. I definitely see you as a LEAP mentor. You seem to have a patience and the discipline to lead. Best of luck to you on your journey.